[Msa-discuss] [SUSPECTED SPAM]MSA 2020 - Roundtable CFP

Ella Ophir e.ophir at usask.ca
Thu Mar 12 13:41:45 EDT 2020

Make it Now: Teaching Modernism through Contemporary Literature - Roundtable

As we approach the centenary of modernism’s annus mirabilis, this roundtable will assess how literary modernism is now situated and taught in relation to the literature of the first two decades of the twenty-first century. Is a shrinking space within the long twentieth century the new reality of modernism in the classroom? If so, do we continue to position it as radically generative, the origin and enduring point of reference for formal and stylistic experimentation? Or are modernist works more productively linked to the contemporary by topical issues rather than form and style? Which contemporary writers engage modernist ones most productively, whether in contestation or filiation? What contemporary representations of modernist writers and their era are shaping the preconceptions of students? Can teaching modernism with and through contemporary literature advance the principles of the new modernist studies, or does modernism in the long view inevitably lose specificity and diversity? Speakers will focus on classroom practice, addressing, for example, pairings or groupings of texts and/or the uses of recent fictional, biographical, filmic, and graphic engagements; they may also address pedagogical methods and broader curricular contexts for the teaching of modernism today.

Please refer to the general conference CFP for a description of the roundtable format. Send a brief proposal (150-200 words) for a 10-minute position statement, and a brief bio, to e.ophir at usask.ca<mailto:e.ophir at usask.ca> by March 18.

--
Ella Ophir
Associate Professor and Undergraduate Chair

Our department acknowledges that we are on Treaty 6 territory and the traditional homeland of the Métis. We pay our respect to the First Nations and Métis ancestors of this place and reaffirm our relationship with one another.