[Msa-discuss] CFP for MSA 2020 Panel

Alec Pollak abp77 at cornell.edu
Wed Mar 4 09:57:11 EST 2020

We seek papers for a panel at this year's MSA conference (Brooklyn, NY,
October 22-25) entitled "House Styles: Pulp, Periodicals, Publishing."

>From the little magazines that launched a slew of modernist authors'
careers to the grassroots periodicals and zines of the 1970s–80s that
reintroduced forgotten or out-of-print writings, periodicals have
consistently served as counter- and sub-cultural venues for literary
production. This panel will consider the intersections between print
cultural forms, mechanisms of dissemination, and the constitution of
evolving twentieth-century literary canons and tastes. We welcome work on
modernist and mid-century print cultures (periodicals, pulps, and beyond);
the relation between public/“lay” consumption of mass-cultural forms and
the institutionalization of texts as literary art; and the print processes
that underlie institutional endorsement of literary genres, epochs, and
tastes.

Please send 250-300 word abstracts and a brief bio to Alec Pollak (
abp77 at cornell.edu) and Joan Lubin (jlubin at cornell.edu) by March 14th.

Best,
Alec

Alec Pollak
PhD Student & Graduate Instructor
English Language and Literature, Cornell University
abp77 at cornell.edu