[Msa-discuss] Literary Bioethics: Animality, Disability, and the Human

NYU Press sarah.bode at nyu.edu
Tue Jul 14 09:00:09 EDT 2020

A new book by Maren Tova Linett from NYU Press!

 (https://t.e2ma.net/click/7e6f7d/bapynkn/z0dyk2)

Uses literature to understand and remake our ethics regarding nonhuman animals, old human beings, disabled human beings, and cloned posthumans

Literary Bioethics argues for literature as an untapped and essential site for the exploration of bioethics. Novels, Maren Tova Linett argues, present vividly imagined worlds in which certain values hold sway, casting new light onto those values; and the more plausible and well rendered readers find these imagined worlds, the more thoroughly we can evaluate the justice of those values. In an innovative set of readings, Linett thinks through the ethics of animal experimentation in H.G. Wells’s The Island of Doctor Moreau, explores the elimination of aging in Aldous Huxley’s Brave New World, considers the valuation of disabled lives in Flannery O’Connor’s The Violent Bear It Away, and questions the principles of humane farming through reading Kazuo Ishiguro’s Never Let Me Go. By analyzing novels published at widely spaced intervals over the span of a century, Linett offers snapshots of how we confront questions of value.In some cases the fictions are swayed by dominant devaluations of nonnormative or nonhuman lives, while in other cases they confirm the value of such lives by resisting instrumental views of their worth—views that influence, explicitly or implicitly, many contemporary bioethical discussions, especially about the value of disabled and nonhuman lives.

Literary Bioethics grapples with the most fundamental questions of how we value different kinds of lives, and questions what those in power ought to be permitted to do with those lives as we gain unprecedented levels of technological prowess.

In the C (https://t.e2ma.net/click/7e6f7d/bapynkn/fteyk2)rip: New Directions in Disability Studies (https://t.e2ma.net/click/7e6f7d/bapynkn/vlfyk2) series.

Buy from NYU Press (https://t.e2ma.net/click/7e6f7d/bapynkn/begyk2)

Use coupon code LINETT30 for 30% off the list price when you checkout at nyupress.org

Praise for Literary Bioethics

"Linett’s articulation of literature as a site of bioethical exploration offers new and essential inroads for conversations on disability. Moving past the ‘thought experiment,’ Linett positions literature as an alternative kind of thought laboratory, one far more interested in whose lives are valued when we think bioethically.”

—Alison Kafer, author of Feminist, Queer, Crip

Buy on Amazon (https://t.e2ma.net/click/7e6f7d/bapynkn/r6gyk2)

Maren Tova Linett is Professor of English and the Director of Critical Disability Studies at Purdue University. She is the author of Modernism, Feminism, and Jewishness (2007) and Bodies of Modernism: Physical Disability in Transatlantic Modernist Literature (2017), and the editor of two collections about modernist women writers.

Order from Bookshop.org (https://t.e2ma.net/click/7e6f7d/bapynkn/7yhyk2)

Support your local bookstore!

In these uncertain times, indie bookstores need our help more than ever. While many stores across the nation have decided to temporarily close their doors to aid social distancing and isolation, some are still processing orders online!

Consider checking if your local bookstore has the book you want from us in stock and available for ordering online. Search for your book selection on indiebound.org (https://t.e2ma.net/click/7e6f7d/bapynkn/nriyk2).

Find at your local bookstore (https://t.e2ma.net/click/7e6f7d/bapynkn/3jjyk2)

 (https://t.e2ma.net/click/7e6f7d/bapynkn/jckyk2)

 (https://t.e2ma.net/click/7e6f7d/bapynkn/z4kyk2)

 (https://t.e2ma.net/click/7e6f7d/bapynkn/fxlyk2)

 (https://t.e2ma.net/click/7e6f7d/bapynkn/vpmyk2)

838 Broadway, 3rd Floor | New York, NY 10003 US

This email was sent to msa-discuss at jhupress.jhu.edu.
To ensure that you continue receiving our emails,
please add us to your address book or safe list.

manage your preferences (https://app.e2ma.net/app2/audience/signup/1860081/1806065/237100785/28925806321/?s=WWc2zbTQjH2NX6c261KL2li89UfGKa89vcG42mzgSN0)
opt out (https://t.e2ma.net/optout/7e6f7d/bapynkn?s=JCqGlM0OUSeOAaCD0xM5W6KjHKplB1FG6s5CDIzoFEo&r=aHR0cHM6Ly9hcHAuZTJtYS5uZXQvYXBwMi9hdWRpZW5jZS9vcHRfb3V0LzE4NjAwODEvMTgwNjA2NS8yODkyNTgwNjMyMS8_cz1EeldWS3BPMGRXMGtodjhZTWRkU2xkRlhZWVNMdlFUU0s4c2xZUGp4RjJB) using TrueRemove(r).

Got this as a forward? Sign up (https://app.e2ma.net/app2/audience/signup/1860081/1806065.237100785/) to receive our future emails.