[Msa-discuss] The Feminist Novel, 2020: An invitation

Lisa Mendelman lisa.mendelman at menlo.edu
Thu Jul 9 17:58:18 EDT 2020

Dear friends,

We write to invite you to a Zoom colloquium dedicated to our new DH project, “The Feminist Novel, 2020.” Project description + colloquium details below!

The project explores how anglophone literary criticism, prestigious review publications, marketing materials, and social readers of the past 25 years converge and diverge in their assessments of feminist fiction. Pulling articles from the MLA international bibliography, book reviews in The New York Times, The New Yorker, Times Literary Supplement, and other prominent periodicals, blurbs from Amazon, and GoodReads reviews, we trace feminism’s ambivalent fates--or rather, feminisms’ ambivalent fates--in and across these four domains. To do so, we engage computational methods including topic modeling, most distinctive word analysis, word embedding, keywords in context, and named entity recognition. We synthesize these quantitative findings with qualitative attention to several provocative examples from our corpus.

As we shift from data gathering to article authorship, we’d be most grateful for your thoughts, questions, and recommendations for further research. To that end, we’re convening a Zoom colloquium on Wednesday July 29, from 10am-11:30am Pacific. We’ll begin by presenting our results (including a grand reveal of the most feminist contemporary novel) and then open it up for discussion. Please email Lisa (lisa.mendelman at menlo.edu <mailto:lisa.mendelman at menlo.edu>) for the Zoom link or for more information.

We hope you can join us!

Warmly,
Lisa Mendelman & Anna Mukamal

—
Lisa Mendelman
Assistant Professor of English & Digital Humanities, Menlo College
lisamendelman.com