[Msa-discuss] Eva - A Novel by Carry van Bruggen, open access download

Ruth Clemens (1508074) PHD R.Clemens at leedstrinity.ac.uk
Fri Jan 31 09:54:32 EST 2020

With apologies for cross-posting.

Dear friends and colleagues,

UCL Press is delighted to announce an open access book that is likely to be of interest to list subscribers: Eva - A Novel by Carry van Bruggen (1927), translated and with an introduction by Prof. Jane Fenoulhet.

This is the first edition of van Bruggen's remarkable novel in English. Carry van Bruggen was a Dutch Jewish writer of the 1920s, and she is well-regarded in the Netherlands as an early adapter of stream of conscious narrative in Dutch prose. Her writing deals with Jewish identity, belonging, rural and regional life, and female subjectivity and sexuality. From the description by UCL Press:

"Eva, a 1927 novel by Dutch writer Carry van Bruggen, is an experiment in depicting a woman’s life from girlhood to marriage, and beyond, to sexual freedom and independence. At the same time, the narrative expresses Eva’s dawning sense of self and expanding subjectivity through a stream of consciousness told by a shifting narrator. Burdened all of her life by feelings of shame, at the end of the novel Eva overcomes this legacy of her upbringing and declares that it is ‘bodily desire that makes love acceptable’.

Carry van Bruggen’s rich and varied language conveys Eva’s experience of the world. Powerful memories of an orthodox Jewish childhood pervade the novel with its fluid sense of time. As Eva puts it, ‘I let these years slip through my fingers like a stream of dry, glinting sand.’

Jane Fenoulhet makes this important modernist novel accessible to English readers for the first time. While it can be described as a becoming-woman of both Eva and her creator, so can the translation be seen as the translator’s own becoming, as Fenoulhet explains in the accompanying commentary, where she also describes the challenges of translating van Bruggen’s dynamic, intense narrative. For Fenoulhet, translation is more a matter of personal engagement with the novel than a matter of word choice and style. In this way, the emotional and intellectual life of the main character is re-enacted through translation."

Some of you have warmly expressed an interest in van Bruggen following my conference paper at the Stream of Consciousness Centenary Conference in Sheffield in 2018 and subsequent translation and essay in Feminist Modernist Studies I.3 - here's a chance to explore more of van Bruggen's work! Hopefully this will mean more of an inclusion of Dutch-language modernism within the Anglo-American scope of European modernism.
(I'll also be presenting a paper on van Bruggen at the ACLA Conference in Chicago in March - hope to see some of you there!)

https://www.uclpress.co.uk/products/109093

Best wishes,

Ruth

NB I'm moving towards using my Utrecht email as my primary email address: r.a.clemens at uu.nl<mailto:r.a.clemens at uu.nl>

PhD Candidate in Comparative Literature, Department of Humanities, Leeds Trinity University

Associate Lecturer in Literary Studies, Departement Talen, Literatuur en Communicatie, Universiteit Utrecht