[Msa-discuss] CFP: William Carlos Williams at ALA: San Diego, May 2020

Burke, Daniel dburke7 at luc.edu
Tue Jan 7 18:42:15 EST 2020

Following are two CFPs for the William Carlos Williams Society panels at the American Literature Association conference this spring, to which we welcome all proposals!

Thanks for your time and consideration!

Williams and Medical Humanities

To reflect the topic of the forthcoming special double-issue of WCWReview planned for late 2020, proposals, drafts, or abstracts on any aspect of the topic of Williams and medical humanities—including aging, disabilities, doctor/patient relationships, phenomenology of illness, etc.—are requested for a panel sponsored by the WCW Society at the American Literature Association Conference (San Diego, CA) in May 21-24, 2020. Please reply to Daniel Burke at dburke7 at luc.edu<mailto:dburke7 at luc.edu> by January 20, 2020 for consideration.

Williams and “Reading”

In his digressive essay on being the subject of the portrait by the painter Emanuel Romano, William Carlos Williams asserted that “[w]e do not read to gain, or not primarily to gain, knowledge of what we are reading—for we read fiction as readily as we read history or philosophy. We read to rescue ourselves from the befuddlement in which we exist between express commitments of our attention.”

How may recent discussions of “cultures of reading” in forums such as PMLA (October 2018, January 2019) and other journals, critical approaches developed on the basis of cognitive science, or more historically distant discussions based in American pragmatist philosophy and/or critical theories of the 20th century, inform our current approaches to Williams’s poetry and prose?

Proposals, drafts or abstracts for presentations on the topic of “Williams and ‘Reading’” are requested for a panel sponsored by the William Carlos William Society at the American Literature Association Conference (San Diego, CA) in May 21-24, 2020. Please reply to Stephen Hahn at hahns at wpunj.edu<mailto:hahns at wpunj.edu> by January 20, 2020 for consideration.