[Msa-discuss] Fw: Conference CFP: Mapping Space Mapping Time Mapping Texts

Alexander Christie achristie at brocku.ca
Thu Feb 6 10:03:41 EST 2020

Dear Alex,

Please can you post/circulate this CFP and poster for us for our forthcoming conference<https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/chronotopic-cartographies/conference/> on the MSA platforms?

Thank you so much,

the Chronotopic Cartographies team.

MAPPING SPACE MAPPING TIME  MAPPING TEXTS
An International  Conference
16th and 17th July, 2020. The Knowledge Centre, The British Library, London.

This two-day interdisciplinary conference is hosted by the AHRC Funded Chronotopic Cartographies project (Lancaster University) in partnership with The British Library and comes out of the primary research of this project into the mapping of space and time for fictional works, with no real-world correspondence.  Chronotopic Cartographies develops digital methods and tools that enable the mapping of literary works by generating graphs as maps directly out of the coded text.
See: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/chronotopic-cartographies/
The Call for Papers emerges from the project and the interdisciplinary fields that it draws upon and connects – literature; narratology; corpus linguistics; onomastics; digital and spatial  humanities; geography; cartography; gaming.  We welcome papers from those working in or across these fields but also from anyone with an interest in the problematics of mapping, visualising and analysing space, time and text from any disciplinary perspective. We seek to bring together and juxtapose different approaches in order to advance knowledge.
Questions and Areas of Interest:  What kind of digital models are most useful for the Humanities?  How do insights from the Humanities reshape digital methods? How do we map unquantifiable space and place?  What happens if we release mapping from GIS? How can we connect virtual, actual and imaginative pathways meaningfully? How do we productively connect visual and verbal meaning?  How do we accommodate the multiple dimensions of literature within 2D, 3D or 4D space? How do we ground time? Does everything have to happen somewhere? What can mapping a text uncover or reveal?
We invite submissions in the form of either 20 minute papers or 5 minute Poster sessions. Individuals giving a paper or poster session may also wish to run informal workshops in shared knowledge sessions.

Abstract Deadline: EXTENDED TO 29th February 2020.
Notification of Acceptance: 20th March 2020.

E-mail Abstracts to Conference Organiser Dawn Stobbart: d.stobbart1 at lancaster.ac.uk<mailto:d.stobbart1 at lancaster.ac.uk>
Queries to Chronotopic Cartographies Project PI Professor Sally Bushell: s.bushell at lancaster.ac.uk
SHORT PAPERS: Abstracts of 300 words.  POSTERS: Abstracts of 150 words.
WORKSHOPS: Brief description + technical requirements.
The conference fee is £150 (standard) £75 (concessions) for this two-day event.  A limited number of bursaries will be available.