[Msa-discuss] Book discount code: Affective Materialities: Reorienting the Body in Modernist Literature

Molly Volanth Hall mvk26 at outlook.com
Wed Feb 5 18:28:55 EST 2020

Dear Colleagues,

Kara Watts, Robin Hackett, and myself (Molly Volanth Hall) have a new book out this past spring with University Press of Florida, titled Affective Materialities: Reorienting the Body in Modernist Literature<https://upf.com/book.asp?id=9780813056289>. It is an edited collection that we hope will be of interest to many within the field of Modernist Studies and beyond.

We are writing to let you know that if you are interested in purchasing the book, you can use the code MLA20 to get an almost 50% discount through March 7th – paying only 40$ instead of the list price of 85$.

Please see below for more information. Click here<https://d2r6h7ytneza1l.cloudfront.net/title/6d188fc5-dee3-41c7-91c5-26d87f6de2c6/20190124T154813Z_Watts-etal_Excerpt.pdf> to view an excerpt and click here<https://upf.com/book.asp?id=9780813056289> to order now.

Please also ask your libraries to get a copy if you are interested!

Best,
Molly, Kara, & Robin

"A dynamic reexamination of what modernist representations of the self can teach us about the way culture has defined which bodies 'matter' and how modern artists resist those boundaries by depicting the body as a creative site of trans-corporeality."—Kelly Sultzbach, author of Ecocriticism in the Modernist Imagination: Forster, Woolf, and Auden

 "Putting the insights of ecology and affect studies into conversation and covering a wide range of subjects from Prufrock to puppies, Affective Materialities provides an impressive toolkit for anyone interested in the myriad ways that the modernist body matters."—Brian Glavey, author of The Wallflower Avant-Garde: Modernism, Sexuality, and Queer Ekphrasis

TABLE OF CONTENTS

1. Into the Ether: An Invitation to Bodily Reorientations, Molly Volanth Hall and Kara Watts

2. Flesh over Granite: Walt Whitman’s Embodied Presence in William Carlos Williams’s “History,” Karen Guendel

3. E. M. Forster among the Ruins, Stuart Christie

4. “‘I’m not sick,’ I said. ‘I’m wounded’”: Disrupting Wounded Masculinity through the Lyrical Spaces of War, Cheryl Hindrichs

5. Frustrated Energies in Modernism’s Female Arrangements, Judith Paltin

6. “Things were in people, people were in things”: Language, Ecology, and the Body in H.D., Kim Sigouin

7. Cold Crystal: The Ecology of Affect in Herbert Read’s The Green Child, William Kupinse

8. “I wanna be your puppy”: Djuna Barnes’s Nightwood and the Queer Cute Body, Anna Christine

9. The Brain and the Living World in Janet Frame’s Faces in the Water, Mary Elene Wood

10. “Becoming Animal, Becoming Other”: Modernism, Millennial Jurisprudence, and the Limits of Materialist Subjectivity, Kathryn Van Wert

11. Black Girls and Lady Police: Blank Affect and the Ecology of the Gym, Robin Hackett