[Msa-discuss] CFP: Special issue of Comparative Literature Studies on "Redesigning Modernities"

Sarah J. Townsend sjtownsend178 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 18:02:03 EST 2020

Please circulate! This issue is something of a departure for the journal.
Contributions on literary texts are more than welcome, but other cultural
phenomena are fair game too.

*"Redesigning Modernities”*
Call for contributions to a special issue of
*Comparative Literature Studies*

The peer-reviewed journal *Comparative Literature Studies *invites
proposals for a special issue titled “Redesigning Modernities” edited by
Vinay Dharwadker (U of Wisconsin) and Sarah J. Townsend (Penn State U).
This issue is a follow-up to a workshop held in Summer 2020, which brought
together faculty and graduate students from a broad array of disciplines
with the aim of fostering collaborative research and curriculum
development. Our tasks: to identify and explore new paradigms for
understanding “modernity”—in all its unevenness and inequities— across the
globe, and to construct new cartographies of cultural creation and
circulation.

For this issue, we invite contributions that intersect with one or more of
the four working groups that emerged from the workshop:

• Ecologies, Foodways, and Commodity Chains
• Technologies, Infrastructure, and Performance
• Race, Gender, Sexuality, and Social Movements
• Migrations and Borders

Please note that on the topic of Ecologies, Foodways, and Commodity Chains,
we are especially interested in short (2,500-4,000-word) pieces to complete
a dossier of texts. Contributions involving other topics may be up to 7,000
words in length. In keeping with the spirit of the workshop, we welcome
co-authored articles, pieces with a pedagogical focus, and experimental
formats.

Please send a proposal of no more than 500 words to Sarah J. Townsend (
sjt18 at psu.edu) by *January 15, 2021*. Authors will be informed of
provisional acceptance by February 1, and full articles will be due by *June
30, 2021*.

--
Sarah J. Townsend
Associate Professor of Spanish and Portuguese

Books:
*The Unfinished Art of Theater: Avant-Garde Intellectuals in Mexico and
Brazil <http://www.nupress.northwestern.edu/content/unfinished-art-theater>*(Northwestern
UP, 2018)
*Stages of Conflict: A Critical Anthology of Latin American Theater and
Performance <https://www.press.umich.edu/230876/stages_of_conflict>*(U of
Michigan P, 2008)