[Msa-discuss] Modernism and Postmodernism Studies Conference 2020

Murat Kadiroglu destvala at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 30 18:56:03 EDT 2020

 |  Dear Colleagues,
I sent an e-mail regarding our Network (Modernism and Postmodernism Studies Network in Turkey) a couple of days ago and asked for your support. We have received many e-mails. Thank you for your interest and support. Once again, we would like to express our gratitude to Dr. Matthew Hart (MSA President), Dr. Laura Winkiel (MSA Past President), Dr. Sascha Bru (EAM Chair) and Dr. David Ayers (Eam Steering Committee Member) and many others who support us by taking part in our Advisory Board.
We are pleased to share this call for paper for the first Modernism and Postmodernism Studies Conference which will be held ONLINE due to the current global crisis. Please remember that you can also participate as "listeners" to this online conference. We will be happy if you can circulate the CFP.    http://konferans.modernizm.org/Default.aspx?Dil=ENG
Keynotes by:

           Dr. Matthew Hart (MSA President)
           Dr. Laura Winkiel (MSA Past President)
Stay healthy and all the best,

On Behalf of the Organizing Committee,

Murat Kadiroglu

Kocaeli University, Turkey
Chair, Modernism and Postmodernism Network in Turkey.

MODERNISM AND POSTMODERNISM STUDIES CONFERENCE 2020
An international conference organised by Modernism and PostmodernismStudies Network in Turkey and Kocaeli University
CALL FOR PAPERS (23-24 July 2020)

Due to the uncertainties surrounding COVID-19  pandemic and considering the continuation and  repetition of the travel restrictions, the organising  committee of  Modernism and Postmodernism  Studies  Conference has decided to move the  conference which was planned to be held in October  at Kocaeli University, to an earlier date and to change  the on-site presentations into live-stream  presentations for once. Future conferences will be conventional.

It is a major challenge to define "modernism" and  "postmodernism", due to the diversity of meanings in  their nature, which are two concepts that we  frequently use while trying to understand and explain  the thinking and the life of today's people. At the core of this diversity lie the different approaches of disciplines, with broad temporal and spatial inclusiveness. First of all, even though it is possible to find its origins in the questioning attitude of Ancient Greek philosophy, the Renaissance and Enlightenment were the main incubation periods of modernism, emphasizing reason and science instead of dogmas. However, the post-1850 period and early twentieth century were productive eras when the concept began to be used frequently. As a result of artistic experiments and new aesthetic searches in expression, understanding, defining and trying to describe the “modern” has been one of the main aims of the world of thought and art. Nevertheless, the differentiation in thought and practice after the Second World War resulted in the claim that a “postmodern” prescription should be written on the grounds that modernity does not answer the questions of today's people. Postmodernism, which changes the way people perceive themselves and nature, and determines it as an object of consumption, and which is known with basic instruments such as globalization, has been one of the last "movements" to define / to be entitled to define today's universe of thought. However, it should not be forgotten that even postmodernism has been consumed in the post millennium period, which is also called the speed age. In parallel, movements with new "-ism"s, "post-post-" theories, "meta-" definitions, "digi-" processes and many alternatives are put forward. There is no doubt that the COVID-19 pandemic, the global actor today bringing new problems together with requiring new untested solutions, will radically challenge the aforementioned movements, theories, definitions, processes and alternatives.

“Modernism and Postmodernism Studies Conference 2020” organized by Kocaeli University by Kocaeli University Western Languages and Literatures Department in collaboration with Modernism and Postmodernism Studies Network in Turkey is an international peer-review event, and since it will examine these concepts with a comprehensive interdisciplinary perspective in Turkey, it is a first in the field. It is open to studies especially from disciplines such as Literature, Philosophy, Sociology, Fine Arts and other relevant disciplines. The topics may include, but are not limited to: modernism, modernity, modern, modernization, modernist; postmodernism, postmodernity, postmodern, postmodernization, and postmodernist. One of the goals of the Conference is also to include studies discussing  new projections and new conceptualisations on 21st century problems after COVID-19 pandemic. As long as related to the mentioned concepts, other topics are also welcomed.
Abstracts are accepted by the Conference Scientific / Referee Board at the end of a double-blind referee evaluation process and accepted papers will be announced on the specified date. Once the (double-blind) peer-review process ends, the papers will be published in the " Modernism and Postmodernism Studies Journal” in a special issue. In addition, these articles will be given a free DOI number to increase international scientific recognition and visibility.