[Msa-discuss] Advice/query re eugenics--Bordering on the body

Susan Friedman friedman.ss at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 16:26:51 EST 2019

Laura Doyle's Bordering the Body is a magnificent book and had a huge
influence on me. I highly recommend especially its opening chapters on the
history of race ideologies in late 18th-19th-early 20th century UK. Susan

On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 1:39 PM Laura Doyle <ldoyle at english.umass.edu>
wrote:

> Hi Maren, My first book was specifically on eugenics and modernism: *Bordering
> on the Body: The Racial Matrix of Modern Fiction and Culutre* (Oxford).
> Analyzes the broader science history that led to eugenics and then
> discusses how modernists grapple with this ideology through experimental
> form, including their treatment of the racialized mother figure. Chapters on
> Joyce, Woolf, Jean Toomer, Ralph Ellison, and Toni Morrison.
>
> best of luck with the project,
>
> Laura
>
> On 11/7/19 1:47 PM, Linett, Maren T wrote:
>
> Dear modernist colleagues,
>

> Do you have any advice or suggestions about what to include in a grad
> class on Modernism and Eugenics? I have a handful of texts I’m planning to
> include but am looking for more. I do have Childs’s book *Modernism and
> Eugenics* and plan to use some of what he talks about there. But I’m
> coming at the topic more from a disability studies angle, as he is not, and
> just also need more authors.
>

> And if anyone is a Naomi Mitchison scholar, could you advise whether any
> of her novels is about or uses eugenics? I see she was a member of the
> Eugenics Society but I don’t know her work and there is a LOT of it.
>

> Thanks a ton!
>
> Maren
>

> --
>
> Maren Linett
>
> Professor of English
>
> Director, Critical Disability Studies
>
> Purdue University
>
> 500 Oval Drive
>
> West Lafayette, IN 47907
>
> Pronouns: she/her/hers

> --
> Laura Doyle
> Professor of English
> University of Massachusetts-Amherst
> WEBSITE: http://people.umass.edu/ldoyle/index.htm
>
> Selected Pubs:
> "Dialectics in the Longer Duree"
>    http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/f62ezETxuPpfbDwk24NU/full
> " <http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/f62ezETxuPpfbDwk24NU/full>Bodies Inside/Out: A Phenomenology of the Terrorized Body in Prison""
>    in Bodies of Resistance: New Phenomenologies of Politics, Agency, and Culture
>
> Co-director, World Studies Interdisciplinary Project (WSIP)
>  http://wsipworldstudies.wordpress.com/
>
> Series Co-editor, University of Edinburgh Press:
>  Studies in Atlantic Literatures and Cultures

Susan Stanford Friedman
Hilldale Professor Emerita in the Humanities
Virginia Woolf Professor Emerita of English and Women's Studies
7103 Helen C. White Hall
600 N. Park St.
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Madison, WI 53706