[Msa-discuss] Advice/query re eugenics--Bordering on the body

Laura Doyle ldoyle at english.umass.edu
Mon Nov 11 14:38:03 EST 2019

Hi Maren, My first book was specifically on eugenics and modernism:
/Bordering on the Body: The Racial Matrix of Modern Fiction and Culutre/
(Oxford). Analyzes the broader science history that led to eugenics and
then discusses how modernists grapple with this ideology through
experimental form, including their treatment of the racialized mother
figure. Chapters on Joyce, Woolf, Jean Toomer, Ralph Ellison, and Toni
Morrison.

best of luck with the project,

Laura

On 11/7/19 1:47 PM, Linett, Maren T wrote:

> Dear modernist colleagues,
>
> Do you have any advice or suggestions about what to include in a grad
> class on Modernism and Eugenics? I have a handful of texts I’m
> planning to include but am looking for more. I do have Childs’s book
> /Modernism and Eugenics/ and plan to use some of what he talks about
> there. But I’m coming at the topic more from a disability studies
> angle, as he is not, and just also need more authors.
>
> And if anyone is a Naomi Mitchison scholar, could you advise whether
> any of her novels is about or uses eugenics? I see she was a member of
> the Eugenics Society but I don’t know her work and there is a LOT of it.
>
> Thanks a ton!
>
> Maren
>
> --
>
> Maren Linett
>
> Professor of English
>
> Director, Critical Disability Studies
>
> Purdue University
>
> 500 Oval Drive
>
> West Lafayette, IN 47907
>
> Pronouns: she/her/hers

Laura Doyle
Professor of English
University of Massachusetts-Amherst
WEBSITE: http://people.umass.edu/ldoyle/index.htm

Selected Pubs:
"Dialectics in the Longer Duree"
    http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/f62ezETxuPpfbDwk24NU/full
"Bodies Inside/Out: A Phenomenology of the Terrorized Body in Prison""
    in Bodies of Resistance: New Phenomenologies of Politics, Agency, and Culture

Co-director, World Studies Interdisciplinary Project (WSIP)
  http://wsipworldstudies.wordpress.com/

Series Co-editor, University of Edinburgh Press:
  Studies in Atlantic Literatures and Cultures