[Msa-discuss] Amanda Anderson at the Modernism Seminar- Mon. 11/11

Samuel Alexander salexand at endicott.edu
Tue Nov 5 16:25:28 EST 2019

Dear Colleagues,

Please join the Modernism Seminar of the Mahindra Humanities Center at
Harvard on Monday, November 11, 2019 at 6:00pm to hear Amanda Anderson
(Brown University) speak on:

*The Stream of Thought: *

*Rumination in the Realist and Modernist Novel*

The presentation will take place in the Mahindra Humanities Center, Barker
133.

*Amanda Anderson* is the Andrew W. Mellon Professor of English and
Humanities and the Director of the Cogut Institute for the Humanities at
Brown University. Her research focuses on 19th- and 20th-century literature
and culture, addressing broad questions of intellectual history,
disciplinary formation, and the relations among literature, moral life, and
politics. She is the author of *Psyche and Ethos: Moral Life after
Psychology
<https://global.oup.com/academic/product/psyche-and-ethos-9780198755821?cc=us&lang=en&>*
(Oxford University Press, 2018), *Bleak Liberalism
<https://www.press.uchicago.edu/ucp/books/book/chicago/B/bo14168334.html>*
(University of Chicago Press, 2016), *The Way We Argue Now: A Study in the
Cultures of Theory
<https://press.princeton.edu/books/paperback/9780691114040/the-way-we-argue-now>*
(Princeton University Press, 2006), *The Powers of Distance:Cosmopolitanism
and the Cultivation of Detachment
<https://press.princeton.edu/books/paperback/9780691074979/the-powers-of-distance>
*(Princeton University Press, 2001), and *Tainted Souls and Painted Faces:
The Rhetoric of Fallenness in Victorian Culture
<https://www.cornellpress.cornell.edu/book/9781501727733/tainted-souls-and-painted-faces/>*
(Cornell University Press, 1993). She is co-editor of *George Eliot: A
Companion <https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/book/10.1002/9781118542347>*
(Wiley-Blackwell, 2013) and *Disciplinarity at the Fin de Siècle
<https://press.princeton.edu/books/paperback/9780691089621/disciplinarity-at-the-fin-de-siecle>*
(Princeton University Press, 2002).

Here is a brief preview of the position that Professor Anderson will
develop:

“The ascendance of psychology in the modernist era and beyond has had
consequential effects on our frameworks for understanding the moral life.
In this talk I will explore the importance of literary approaches to moral
reflection in the context of influential psychological paradigms reaching
from psychoanalysis to cognitive science. In drawing out literary forms of
moral reflection, I will pay particular attention to the under-acknowledged
case of rumination (as opposed to deliberation or judgment), looking at
novels from the realist and modernist periods. Authors and thinkers to be
discussed include Hannah Arendt, Henry James, William James, Iris Murdoch,
George Eliot, and Virginia Woolf.”

There is free parking near the HHC at the Broadway Garage, on Felton
between Broadway and Cambridge Street. Just tell the attendant that you’re
participating in an event at the HHC. Normally the attendant is welcoming,
as long as it’s after 5:00 p.m., even if we are erroneously not on the good
list.

We hope you’ll be able to attend the session, which, as always, includes
discussion after the presentation.

Details about the Center, including a calendar of events, are available at:
http://mahindrahumanities.fas.harvard.edu/

*Spring 2020 Speakers*

(All presentations will be held in Barker 133 at 6pm)

Tuesday, February 4: John Plotz (Brandeis University), Talk Title TBA

Thursday, March 5: Patrick Whitmarsh (Harvard University), Talk Title TBA

Tuesday, March 24: Len Gutkin (Associate Editor, *The Chronicle Review*),
“Camp’s Abstractions: Dandyism, Ivy Compton-Burnett, and Modernism's End”

Best wishes,

Sam Alexander, Endicott College

salexand at endicott.edu

https://www.endicott.edu/academics/schools/arts-sciences/faculty/s/samuel-alexander