[Msa-discuss] [Spam] CFP: modernism and science fiction

Adam Stock a.stock at yorksj.ac.uk
Wed May 1 06:36:20 EDT 2019

Call for papers

Prospective peer-reviewed cluster on the Modernism/Modernity Print Plus Platform

Modernism & Science Fiction

Deadline for abstracts: Friday 31 May 2019

Edited by Adam Stock and Miranda Iossifidis

We seek proposals for short essays of 3,000 words addressing the topic of “Modernism and Science Fiction” for a prospective peer-reviewed cluster on Modernism/modernity’s Print Plus platform. Focusing on the inter-relationships of modernism and science fiction, we want to turn attention to how conceptions of a multiplicity of modernities and spaces of alterity in science fiction are inter-connected. We aim to instigate a conversation around the relationship between the histories of sf and modernism.

We are interested in expanding the geographical scope of the term “modernity” in order to investigate what both modernism and sf can tell us about its lived experience. We intend to explore how the histories of conflict, colonialism and imperialism are implicated in the development of both sf and modernism. We seek to attend to the radical and experimental voices skirting the peripheries of modernism and science fiction. These voices present alternative narratives of futurity across a range of art forms, from novels, cinema and poetry to visual art, design, performance and the built environment. Taking an interdisciplinary approach, we hope to connect material history to the production of experimental cultural objects, and how readers/audiences encounter and engage with speculative imaginaries.

Potential areas that papers may address include:

● Global modernities and science fiction

● The influence of empire on modernism and science fiction

● Fascist futures of modernism and sf

● The treatment of artistic modernism in science fiction

● Modernism in the built environment and science fiction

● Science fiction and modernist networks

● Spaces of alterity in modernism

● Alternative and experimental narratives of futurity

● Multiple modernities and science fictional imaginaries

● Work on readers of modernism and science fiction

● Feminism, modernism and sf

● ‘Experimentation’ as a mode of cultural production common to sf and modernism

Please send abstracts of 250 words to Adam Stock (a.stock at yorksj.ac.uk<mailto:a.stock at yorksj.ac.uk>) and Miranda Iossifidis miranda.iossifidis at ncl.ac.uk<mailto:miranda.iossifidis at ncl.ac.uk> by Friday May 31 2019.

Dr Adam Stock
Lecturer in English Literature
York St John University | Lord Mayor’s Walk | York | YO31 7EX | 01904 876774
Twitter: @sztockmann<https://twitterr.com/sztockmann>
Hon. Treasurer, Utopian Studies Society (Europe)
Profile and research archive: https://ray.yorksj.ac.uk/profile/1866
out now:
Adam Stock, Modern Dystopian Fiction and Political Thought: Narratives of World Politics<https://www.routledge.com/Modern-Dystopian-Fiction-and-Political-Thought-Narratives-of-World-Politics/Stock/p/book/9781138101272> (Routledge: 2019).

[https://www.yorksj.ac.uk/media/content-assets/homepage/email-logos.gif]

This email and any files transmitted with it were intended solely for the addressee. If you have received this email in error please let the sender know by return.

Please think before you print.