[Msa-discuss] MLA Panel CFP: The Passions of Lana del Rey

Ryan Tracy rtracy at gradcenter.cuny.edu
Wed Mar 13 18:53:04 EDT 2019

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

I was probably under the influence (but of what soporific elixir?) when I posted this CFP for next year's MLA in Seattle<https://mla.confex.com/mla/2020/webprogrampreliminary/Paper8504.html>  It may, in fact, be a terrible idea. But given that Lana del Rey is self-publishing her first book of poetry this year, and for the fact that the brief bio on her twitter profile is a quote from Walt Whitman's Leaves of Grass, it feels like maybe the right time to take stock of the numerous literary influences on Lana's problematic poetics. (Plus, there must be someone out there who wants to write about Lana’s ethereal reading of “Burnt Norton.”<https://youtu.be/QbajAoqIsQg>)

If you feel so inclined, please submit an abstract by this Friday, March 15. (If you need a little extra time, feel free to email me directly.)

Melancholic regards,
Ryan Tracy

"Light of my life, fire of my loins." -Lana del Rey