[Msa-discuss] cfp to post to MSA-list

Christa Robbins christa.robbins at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 12:03:18 EDT 2019

Please post to listserve
CFP DEADLINE 1 AUGUST 2019: CALL FOR PAPERS
OPEN SET: The CANCELED Issue

“Canceling,” with its origins on Black Twitter and in African American
Vernacular English (AAVE), is a mode of protest that usually originates in
online spaces in which cultural capital is divested from someone or
something that has come to represent unacceptable values. In recent years,
practices of social criticism such as “canceling,” “calling out,” and
“de-platforming” have become mechanisms by which to hold public figures and
media sources accountable. Through the collective act of canceling, a group
assumes the power to deny an outlet for harmful messages and people. Often
emerging as a spontaneous response to public speech and acts, canceling
centers voices in those marginal spaces that hegemonic discourse ignores.
No wonder, then, that we see so many attempts to label canceling a “toxic”
and “anti-democratic” activity. But if it is indeed “non-deliberative” and
“non-rational,” does it necessarily follow that it is also undemocratic?

The 2019 Winter issue of *Open Set* will examine so-called “cancel culture”
and the questions it raises for the arts, humanities, and creative
practices. There are numerous examples of “cancellations” in popular
culture, from Woody Allen and Taylor Swift to the NFL and, most recently,
the makeup artist/youtuber James Charles. Less visible, but no less
impactful, have been cancellations in the worlds of publishing, art, and
the academy, with Junot Díaz, Chuck Close, The Whitney Museum of American
Art, and Knight Landesman of Artforum suffering their own forms of being
called-out and canceled. For this issue we ask for original essays,
projects, reviews, and interviews that consider “cancel culture” as it
relates to the arts and humanities. Possible questions and problems to
consider include, but are not limited to the following: How are we to
address the “problematic faves” in our fields?  Is it possible or
beneficial to cancel the canon? How are the widely publicized abuses
perpetrated by tenured faculty in the academy and high-ranking
administrators in the museum and publishing industries differently affected
by “cancel culture” and why? What motivates the critiques that it goes too
far? What are possible differences between cancel culture and other modes
of resistance, such as boycotting, demonstrating, and agitating? In this
issue, we ask not only who and what gets canceled, but also who gets to
cancel. We invite submissions from* artists*, *activists, scholars,
teachers, creative writers, and theorists *who are interested in these
questions and more. Proposals of 500-800 words should be sent to
openset.editors at gmail.com no later than *1 August 2019.* Final
papers/projects will be due 15 October, 2019.