[Msa-discuss] Book announcement: Serial Encounters: Ulysses and the Little Review

Clare Hutton C.L.Hutton at lboro.ac.uk
Wed Jul 3 06:31:58 EDT 2019

Dear colleagues,

I would like to let the list know of my book, Serial Encounters: Ulysses and the Little Review, which was recently published by Oxford University Press.

James Joyce’s Ulysses first appeared in 23 serial instalments in an avant-garde US ‘little magazine’, the Little Review, between March 1918 and December 1920.  The Little Review serialization of Ulysses proved controversial from the outset and was ultimately stopped before Joyce had completed the work.  The New York Society for the Suppression of Vice had taken successful legal action against the journal’s editors, on the grounds that the final instalment of the thirteenth chapter of Ulysses was obscene.  Thereafter Ulysses was completed and published in volume form in Paris, and appeared on the occasion of Joyce’s 40thbirthday: 2 February 1922.

In more than one sense this is an arch narrative for ‘high’ literary modernism.  My book investigates the textual and contextual significance of Ulysses as published in the Little Review.  How did the world’s most famous Irish novel ever even end up in a New York periodical? Joyce, after all, was in Zurich, and never even visited the US.  How different is the text as published in the Little Review to that of the volume edition, and are those differences of critical significance?

These are the kinds of questions I answer in research which blends literary critical analysis, close reading, archival research, book history, and periodical studies.

For a 30% discount via oup.com, insert the code AAFLYG6.

Regards,

Clare Hutton
Senior Lecturer in English
Loughborough University