[Msa-discuss] CFP. Beyond the Tropics: Art and Visual Culture to and from the Caribbean. CAA Annual Conference (Chicago, February 12-15, 2020)

Maite Barragan maitebarragan at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 16:01:52 EDT 2019

Dear colleagues,

We would like to invite you to submit a paper proposal for our session for
the College Art Association’s 2020 conference. (Chicago, Feb. 12-15, 2020)

*Beyond the Tropics: Art and Visual Culture to and from the Caribbean
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__caa.confex.com_caa_2020_webprogrampreliminary_Session4772.html&d=DwMGaQ&c=lhMMI368wojMYNABHh1gQQ&r=7I4lq4TYLKAfcz1c3QLanQ&m=n1Ghl7h3EVPD-7bIVXXTJseiscvvR6GbmIkf9NplZ9g&s=iNelXn4sWYkchl2m5WaQ_H190lTe4IEp8y5aIpiSGj4&e=>*

Since the fifteenth century, the Caribbean has been a site of confluence,
exchange, and circulation. As debates regarding the independence of
Spanish, French, British, and Dutch territories spread throughout the
nineteenth century, it became increasingly important for locals to consider
the ways in which the autochthonous and new national cultures contested,
assimilated, or related to that of the metropole. Fine art and exhibitions,
along with mass media including magazines, photographs, cinema, and other
printed images were central to the formation of divergent definitions of
the nascent independent and regional identities.

This panel seeks papers that examine the visual culture of the Caribbean as
a nexus point within transnational networks of communication during the
nineteenth and twentieth centuries. We are especially interested in papers
that address the role of images in the intersections between the global and
local, or ‘glocal,’ and that explore the new ways of looking generated at
the juncture of metropole and Caribbean. We welcome presentations that
respond to an array of questions, including: How did images represent the
local and transnational Caribbean identities or contest ideas of national
boundaries, of both colonial and of recently created nations? How did the
visual culture challenge or renegotiate the dichotomies of
colonized/colonizer, resistance/assimilation, periphery/center? How were
notions of the local, national, and cosmopolitan renegotiated in light of
the mass-produced image? What meanings did reproduced images from capitals
or from the peripheries acquire in local contexts, unofficial networks, or
private spaces?

*Deadline: July 23, 2019*

*Please send your proposals to the Chairs:*

Maite Barragán, Albright College:  maitebarragan at gmail.com
Vanesa Rodríguez-Galindo, Florida International University,
vanesa.rodriguezgalindo at sasalumni.net

More information can be found here:

https://caa.confex.com/caa/2020/webprogrampreliminary/meeting.html
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__caa.confex.com_caa_2020_webprogrampreliminary_meeting.html&d=DwMGaQ&c=lhMMI368wojMYNABHh1gQQ&r=7I4lq4TYLKAfcz1c3QLanQ&m=n1Ghl7h3EVPD-7bIVXXTJseiscvvR6GbmIkf9NplZ9g&s=Hnal6VP-h0jXaSEVGCpd2t1d0gWBSBOd6uZeQ6sRVgI&e=>

Best,

Maite and Vanesa

---

Maite Barragán, PhD