[Msa-discuss] CFP for MSA Toronto: "Ephemeral Modernisms"

Christopher Walker caw2105 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 21:32:06 EST 2019

CFP for MSA Toronto

Title: "Ephemeral Modernisms"

W.B. Yeats’ 1919 paradigmatic claim that “things fall apart, the centre
cannot hold” encapsulates the twentieth-century fascination with figuring
and conceptualizing the inevitability of instability and the certainty of
entropy. For this panel, we are seeking papers on modernisms or modernist
studies that dwell in the crumbling center. Approaches may include an
investigation of:
-Decay
-Decline
-Decomposition
-Ephemerality
-Exhaustion
-Fragmentation
-Half-lives
-Ruins

While The Waste Land may attempt to “shore” the world’s “fragments,” we are
instead interested in the places where decay, exhaustion, or fragmentation
itself are central to a work.

Please submit a 250-word abstract and a brief bio to Christopher Walker
(Christopher.Walker at Colby.edu) and Nissa Cannon (ncannon at bu.edu) by 3/2.