[Msa-discuss] English Institute at the University of Chicago, 10/4-10/5

Martin Harries martin.harries at uci.edu
Tue Aug 20 13:46:09 EDT 2019

Dear colleagues,

I’m writing to urge you to plan to attend this fall's English Institute
when it meets at the University of Chicago on Friday, October 4, and
Saturday, October 5. The conference will take place in Room 122 in the
Regenstein Library, at 1100 East 57^th Street (between South Ellis
Avenue and South University Avenue).

Registration is now open on the website:
https://englishinstitute.yale.edu <https://englishinstitute.yale.edu>.
If your department is an institutional sponsor, you can register for $0.
For students from non-sponsoring institutions, the fee is $25. For
unaffiliated scholars and faculty from non-sponsoring institutions, it
is $50.

While there are papers of immediate interest to modernists, the English
Institute addresses a wide audience and is a rare venue for collective
thinking.  We hope that you’ll join us for a day of a half of active
discussion. As always, the English Institute allows a generous amount of
time for questions and comments following each talk.  And we hope as
well that you’ll read the conference text and join in the discussion of
it on Saturday morning.

We look forward to seeing you on October 4^th and 5^th .  The conference
schedule is below.

*ABSTRACTION*

*ENGLISH INSTITUTE*

University of Chicago, October 4^th and 5^th , 2019

*FRIDAY, OCTOBER 4^TH , 2019*

1:00    Gordon Teskey, “Bent Abstraction”

2:30    Julia Jarcho, “Anything”

4:00     Coffee

4:15    Matthew Kirschenbaum, “Spec Acts”

5:45    Reception

             Graduate student gathering

*SATURDAY, OCTOBER 5^TH , 2019*

8:30     Coffee

9:00     Leela Gandhi, “Invisible, Inc.”

10:45   Discussion of Conference Text: Siegfried Kracauer, selection
from /The Mass Ornament/

12:00   Lunch

1:00    Denise Ferreira da Silva, “Corpus Infinitum”

2:30     Daniel Stout,*//*“Collateral Objects”

4:15     Coffee

4:30     Chris Nealon, “Capitalist Value and Poetic Abstraction”

6:00     Lightning Session of All Speakers

6:30     Reception

Feel free to write me if you have any questions.

Best,

Martin Harries

For the Supervisors and Trustees of the English Institute

<martin.harries at uci.edu>