[Msa-discuss] Katherine Mansfield Society Annual Birthday Lecture 2019 - Saturday 12 October, 2pm. Book your tickets now!

KMS Account kms at katherinemansfieldsociety.org
Fri Aug 2 09:29:35 EDT 2019

We are delighted to be able to give you details of our next birthday
lecture in London, to be delivered by Emeritus Professor Angela Smith,
University of Stirling, one of the world’s foremost Mansfield scholars, and
also see attached the wonderful poster designed by Joe Shaughnessy, the
Katherine Mansfield Society’s postgraduate representative.

*Katherine Mansfield Society Annual Birthday Lecture 2019 *

*Saturday 12 October, 2pm, Room 246, Second Floor, Senate House, Malet
Street, London WC1E 7HU*

*Professor Emerita Angela Smith, University of Stirling*

*‘We are all sailors, bending over a great map’: Katherine Mansfield’s
travellers*

Katherine Mansfield was a restless traveller, quickly discontented and
planning the next journey as soon as she arrived at her destination.
Focusing on stories and enigmatic journal entries about ships and trains,
including ‘The Wind Blows’, ‘An Indiscreet Journey’ and ‘The Stranger’, I
will explore Mansfield’s search for a form that maps the tireless hunt for
the secret self and depicts the insecure liminal state of being in between
countries, relationships, and possibilities. V. S. Pritchett wrote that
‘Mansfield liquefied the short story. She destroyed many of its formal
conventions’, omitting explanations and cutting to a pivotal moment. I will
show some paintings by Mansfield’s contemporary, the English Futurist
painter C. R. W. Nevinson who also omitted an explanatory context in his
work. I have no evidence that she knew his pictures but his radical formal
experiments attempting to express simultaneity provide an intriguing
comparison with her own avant-garde fiction.

Please click on the link below to go to our website, where details of how
to purchase tickets from the IES can be found:

http://www.katherinemansfieldsociety.org/birthday-lecture-2019/