[Msa-discuss] CFP deadline reminder, Symposium on Mind - Body - Violence | 28 June 2018, University of Edinburgh

Sarah Nance snance at ucla.edu
Tue May 1 15:27:11 EDT 2018

 Dear colleagues,

Apologies for cross-posting -- I wanted to send along a reminder about the
upcoming application deadline (Friday, May 4) for a 1-day symposium on
violence and embodiment, funded by the British Academy (see below for more
details).

Again, we're interested in interdisciplinary approaches, as well as
submissions from a variety of historical periods -- please get in touch
with any questions!

All my best,

Sarah Nance
Assistant Professor of English
United States Air Force Academy
sarah.nance at usafa.edu

______________

*Call for Participation: Symposium on Mind - Body - Violence*
*Funded by the British Academy*
June 28th, 2018
University of Edinburgh

Defining, researching and understanding the concept of ‘violence’ is
challenging and contested. At the centre of debates around violence is the
enduring problematic of a mind/body dualism. Ongoing developments in the
fields of disability studies, the health humanities, illness studies, and
violence studies place conversations about mind and body at the centre of
their disciplines; in part, this symposium seeks to address some of the
following questions: What is the effect of bodily violence on the mind? How
do we categorise and understand the intersections of body and mind through
the experiences of violence? What can the emerging field of health
humanities offer to understandings of mind-body-violence?

This one-day symposium will provide an engaging and innovative forum in
which to explore and interrogate intersections between violence, mind, and
body. Attendance is free, but limited to 25-30 delegates, which we hope
will draw from a wide range of working scholars, graduate students, and
non-scholars with interest in the topic. We invite contributions from a
range of disciplinary perspectives allied to health humanities (e.g.
 literature, drama, history, gender studies, sociology, and anthropology)
who are interested in violence and how this intersects with wider
understandings of what Margaret Price, among others, suggests calling
“bodyminds.”

The day will be organised around a series of workshops and roundtable
discussions; as such, attendees will not present formal work but will
rather be a part of what we hope is a cross-disciplinary investigation of
the body, mind, and violence.

In lieu of more formal presentations, we also invite proposals for
contributions of 5-minute provocations around the following thematic areas
(see below). Proposals may take the form of oral presentations, as well as
more creative contributions (e.g. music, dance, poetry, theatre). The 5
minute limit is strict, however, as we want to maximise opportunities for
mutual discussion and form a base from which to launch interdisciplinary
conversations:

*Bodymind in Parts *(Georgie Lucas, University of Nottingham): This session
invites perspectives that consider how the performance of violence (e.g.
massacre, rape, dismemberment) that literally or figuratively reduces the
body into parts can inform understandings of the temporal and eternal self.
Approaches and subjects might include, but are not limited to, historical
or contemporary understandings of violence and the self; artistic or
creative responses to, or representations of, violence and the bodymind
experience; and different cultural conception of this dynamic.

*Bodymind in Pain *(Sarah Nance, United States Air Force Academy): This
session investigates the relationship of the bodymind to pain, whether
through suffering, illness, or violence. Particular attention will be paid
to the way that pain can reify or “repair” the perceived division between
mind and body; that is, does pain distance us from our bodies or return us
to our bodies? The session will also consider the possibility of
representing pain within language. Approaches might include, among others:
literary and artistic representations of pain; medical and health
intersections with the body and/or pain; and narrated accounts of pain,
whether through memoir, visual art, medical narratives, or
sociological/anthropological study.

*Bodymind in Practice* (Amy Chandler, University of Edinburgh): This
session considers how violent practices – and practices of accounting for
these - produce or unsettle the concept of an integrated bodymind. In doing
so, the session explicitly engages with definitions of violence and of
bodies/selves, and will attend to the ways in which different practices
come to be understood as ‘violent’ - or not. Particularly relevant
practices might include (but are not restricted to): self-harm, suicide,
intimate partner abuse, gender-based violence, surgeries.

To apply to attend: please submit a short paragraph summarising your
interest in the symposium topic; to apply to contribute a 5-minute
provocation (not required for attendance), please also include a 250-word
abstract, giving an indication of the content of your contribution, as well
as the medium of presentation.

Please send abstracts/applications to: mindbodyviolence at gmail.com by 4th
May 2018. Applications will be reviewed and decisions made by 11th May 2018.

For further information: please feel free to contact mindbodyviolence@
gmail.com.

*https://mindbodyviolence.wordpress.com/
<https://mindbodyviolence.wordpress.com/>*

To discuss contributing to a particular theme in advance of your
submission, please email the theme lead:

Dr. Georgie Lucas (Bodymind in Parts) - georgina.lucas at nottingham.ac.uk

Dr. Sarah Nance (Bodymind in Pain) - sarah.nance at usafa.edu

Dr. Amy Chandler (Bodymind in Practice) - a.chandler at ed.ac.uk

--