[Msa-discuss] Mailing list submission: CFP for MLA, 'Modernism and Influencing Machines'

Richard Porteous porteousr at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 09:44:21 EST 2018

Hello,

Below is a CFP for a panel / special session at the MLA Convention in Chicago, January 3-6, 2019. It would be great if you could circulate it. Thank you.

all best,
Richard

Modernism and influencing machines

It was in 1919 that the psychoanalyst Victor Tausk pointed to the increasingly popular delusion that one's thoughts are being controlled by an 'influencing machine.' But the response to the idea of technological or machinic influence resounds in a wide array of literary periods and genres: in the period chiefly most usually associated with literary modernism, but also before that, and in our contemporary moment too. We are interested in all interpretations of the panel’s title: papers might for example consider the interconnectedness of technology and widespread cultural suspicion; the relation between literature and the birth of media studies; or, in a more object-oriented way, specific objects of modernity and the powers attributed to them. Comparative historicism is welcome, as are period-specific papers.

Please submit your 250 word abstract, for a 20-minute paper, to richard.porteous at nyu.edu <mailto:richard.porteous at nyu.edu> by March 22, 2018.