[Msa-discuss] New book: David Jones on Religion, Politics, and Culture: Unpublished Prose (Bloomsbury Academic Modernist Archives)

Thomas Berenato tab3cz at virginia.edu
Thu Jun 28 09:58:36 EDT 2018

Dear MSA,

Anne Price-Owen, Kathleen Henderson Staudt, and I announce the publication
today of our edition of unpublished prose by the Anglo-Welsh poet and
painter David Jones (1895-1974).

The editors join Oliver Bevington, Jasmine Hunter Evans, and Tom Villis in
presenting here a letter (to Neville Chamberlain) and an essay (on G. M.
Hopkins) in manuscript, an essay (on Hitler) in typescript, and a
transcript of an interview with Jones, all from the period 1938-1973 and
unearthed from archives in the UK and USA.

Each document receives expert annotation and commentary. Facing-page
facsimiles and interview film stills come in color in the cheaper
electronic edition. Rowan Williams supplies a perceptive foreword.

This volume complements the edition of Jones's unpublished poetry
forthcoming from the same series, Bloomsbury Academic's Modernist Archives,
this December, edited by Thomas Goldpaugh and Jamie Callison:
https://www.bloomsbury.com/us/david-joness-the-grail-mass-and-other-works-9781350052062/
or
https://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/david-joness-the-grail-mass-and-other-works-9781350052062/
.

Apply the 35% discount code GLR PW1 at checkout from
https://www.bloomsbury.com/us/david-jones-on-religion-politics-and-culture-9781474274135/
or
https://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/david-jones-on-religion-politics-and-culture-9781474274135/
.

Please encourage your university library to get a copy of both books,
essential additions to the now more loudly groaning shelf devoted to this
often overlooked artist.

Best,

Thomas Berenato
University of Virginia