[Msa-discuss] CFP: Abstractions

Christa Robbins christa.robbins at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 13:15:46 EDT 2018

The editors of *Open Set* <http://www.open-set.com/> are seeking
submissions for an upcoming issue dedicated to the political, ethical,
historical, and aesthetic implications of abstraction’s divergence from
representation. We are particularly interested in papers that explore the
potentials of seeing abstraction at work across a wide-range of cultural
activities and geographies and that re-think histories of artistic
abstraction as a way to better track key changes to ordinary life in the
late-twentieth and early twenty-first centuries. Potential sites of
ordinary abstraction include embodiment, finance and money, labor,
networked technologies, collectivity and individuality. While we seek
histories and theories of abstraction seen in relation to political issues
such as race, gender, sexuality, disability, and technology, we are also
interested in papers that focus on abstraction’s resistance to any sort of
instrumentalization. We will consider both completed essays (including
scholarly studies, artist statements, interviews and reviews, between 2500
and 5000 words) and proposals for essays (500 words). The deadline for
submission of proposals is June 30 and for complete essays is July 15.
Please send either essays or proposals, along with a one-page CV to
openset.editors at gmail.com

-Christa Noel Robbins
Christa Noel Robbins <https://sites.google.com/site/christanoelrobbins/> |
Assistant Professor
Twentieth- and Twenty-first Century Art and Art Criticism
University of Virginia | McIntire Department of Art
https://christanoelrobbins.youcanbook.me/
Editor *Open Set* <http://www.open-set.com/>