[Msa-discuss] CFP MSA 20: Fashion Systems and Networks
PAPALASM at ecu.edu
Mon Feb 12 11:36:48 EST 2018
MSA 2018, November 8-11, Columbus OH: “Graphic Modernisms”
Panel proposal-Visual cultures stream
Title: Fashion Systems and Networks
Chair: Dr. Marylaura Papalas, East Carolina University
Roland Barthes’ The Fashion System (1973), a critical study underscoring the legitimacy of fashion as a discipline of academic inquiry, highlights the importance of visual culture and especially the relationship between its graphic and textual representations. Barthes’ analysis also illuminates the complexity of the fashion “system,” and the many layers of meaning that text and image construct. This interdisciplinary panel invites papers that explore these webs of mediation in modernist fashion magazines or descriptions of fashion in modernist works. This panel also solicits papers that understand the concept of “fashion system” more broadly, as a network of components that negotiate and exchange meaning. This includes contributions that explore the significance of artistic collaboration, the sharing of ideas across ideological, geographical, and disciplinary boundaries, and the impact of social, aesthetic, and professional networks on designers, their creations, and the fashion industry at large.
Possible questions may include:
* What are the different definitions of “system” and “network” within the discipline of Fashion Studies and how do alternative relationships exist within these frameworks?
* How is the avant-garde, defined by its international interconnectedness, especially conducive to facilitating networks in fashion?
* What kinds of relationships emerge by examining: the sartorial image and its textual representation; dress and gender identity; clothing and the sensory experience; the newly fashionable and the outmoded; the work of art and the fashion industry?
* How does modernist fashion engage in the crosspollination of ideas across a variety of disciplines and fields, including literature, graphic art, film, popular media, design, architecture, and dance?
* What kind of networks (social, media, information) engage with, shape or transform the development of modernist fashion?
Please send a 300-word abstract with short bio to Marylaura Papalas (papalasm at ecu.edu) by April 1, 2018.
Assistant Professor, French
Department of Foreign Languages & Literatures
East Carolina University
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Msa-discuss