[Msa-discuss] CORRECTION: Hemingway Society CFP for MLA 2019

Jace Gatzemeyer jpg224 at psu.edu
Sun Feb 4 22:00:48 EST 2018

The previous posting of this CFP made a crucial attribution error. Please
see the below corrected version. My sincere apologies.

*Call for Papers*

*Modern Language Association Conference*

*January 3-6, 2019*

*Chicago, IL*

https://www.mla.org/Convention/MLA-2019

The Ernest Hemingway Society will sponsor a panel at the upcoming MLA
Conference:

*Chicago Style: Hemingway and Chicago*

“Though Paris is the city in Hemingway’s life that has been most
spectacularly mythologized, Hemingway’s Chicago is also key to his work: as
a place of artistic development and publication, important critical
reception, and imaginative inspiration” (Olson, *Chicago Renaissance*,
158). Not only did Hemingway spend his formative childhood years in
the Victorian
atmosphere of nearby Oak Park, but he also spent the influential months
between the trenches of Italy and the bohemian glamour of Paris living amid
the afterglow of the Chicago Renaissance literary scene. The city of
Chicago embodied for Hemingway a distinct mixture of influences: the
conservatism of his Oak Park upbringing and the modernism of an artistic
community H. L. Mencken dubbed “the literary capital of the United States.”
We invite papers that explore Hemingway’s relationship with the city of
Chicago, the Chicago Renaissance, and/or his childhood in nearby Oak Park.

--
Jace Gatzemeyer
PhD Candidate