[Msa-discuss] query re: M/m editorial proposal

Templeton, Erin erin.templeton at converse.edu
Fri Feb 2 14:16:50 EST 2018

Dear Jessica, Cris, Cassandra, Susan, Pamela, and members:

I’m writing in my capacity as Membership chair of the MSA Board and liaison
to the MSA membership, and I hope to clarify what seem to be a few
misunderstandings regarding the proposed changes to the M/m editorial term
length.

1)    The proposal before you originated with the current M/m editorial
team in response to the present workload and structure of M/m, which has
grown and changed significantly over the last decade, and in particular
over the last 4 years under the leadership of our current editors. They
made their proposal to the MSA Board, who have all agreed and approved it,
and as a result that proposal has been forwarded to you, the membership,
for your consideration.

2)    The change from 5 to 4 years is intended to reflect the current
editors’ recommended best practices to accommodate the present number of
submissions, workflow, time commitment, and institutional resources. The
journal is a different enterprise from when MSA produced one issue a year.
For example, our editors estimate that at any given time, there are
approximately 50 pieces out for review, not counting the many articles
rejected without going out for review. The addition of the Print Plus
platform adds the equivalent of about two issues per year, in terms of
work. The editors now also run the review section. The bottom line is that
the editorial position has easily doubled in productivity and
responsibility and requires both a greater time commitment and greater
institutional support than ever before.

3)    Given this additional editorial workload, the four-year term feels
more manageable and more equitable. Our proposed bylaw change would ensure
that every two years the membership appoints a new editor, the junior
office becomes senior, and the senior editor rotates off. This process
doesn’t work with a 5 year term. The staggered editorial appointments not
only ensure orderly succession and the preservation of institutional
knowledge, but also provide for continuity of practice for our members, our
authors, and our readership. The current editors feel strongly the term be
an even number of years to provide for an equal division of labor and
resources over the editorial term.

4)    The Board has brought the current proposal to the membership at this
time so that if approved, these changes can be implemented before the next
M/m Editorial Election, which will occur later this year at the annual
conference (this year’s is in Columbus, OH, November 8-11).

5) The ballot for voting on the proposed change can be found here
<https://vote.press.jhu.edu/msa/elections>. (You will need to login with
your membership username and password).

With best wishes,

Erin

--

*Erin Templeton, Ph. D.*
Anne Morrison Chapman Distinguished Professor of International Study

Phone: 864.596.9099
erin.templeton at converse.edu
My Profile <https://www.converse.edu/people/erin-e-templeton/>

[image: Converse College]

Voice. Value. Vision.
Converse College, 580 E. Main Street, Spartanburg, SC 29302
www.converse.edu