[Msa-discuss] query re M/m editorships, and thoughts re vote on editorial length of tenure

SUSAN FRIEDMAN ssfriedm at wisc.edu
Fri Feb 2 12:38:45 EST 2018

Hi All, I agree with Jessica, Cristanne, and Cassandra that a 5-year term
(with understanding of some work before and after) makes the most sense. I
speak as a former president of MSA who initiated the process with Bill at
Johns Hopkins UP that Paul Saint-Amour and Rebecca Walkowitz completed: to
give MSA editor(s) full responsibility for all the M/M issues, instead of
the one September issue that we initially had, under Cassandra's excellent
editing for some 10 years. I also co-founded an Oxford UP journal,
Contemporary Women's Writing for 6-7 years and so I am well aware of how
much work editing a journal is. No doubt there is a learning curve for new
editors and some advice to new editors once one's term is up. But a 5-year
commitment is doable, and it is clearer to members, I believe, than a
4-year term. Susan Friedman

On Fri, Feb 2, 2018 at 10:17 AM, Laity, Cassandra <claity at utk.edu> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I did not see this message either (?) I gather that you are deciding on
> the tenure of the MSA editor (?) I heartily agree with Cristanne and
> Jessica. I would just like to add: speaking as the one who originated the
> 5-year term--in consultation with Bob von Hallberg at JHUP Press in
> Delaware where we hammered out the deal--I found that it took 5 years to
> make a difference in the journal.
>
> M/M received the Phoenix award from CELJ for the journal that has most
> resurrected itself in 3 years on the basis of 2 MSA issues (which I sent in
> when applying). It took me 3 years to really establish new directions and
> 2 more to consolidate them.
>

> Special thanks to Debra Rae who has done such a great job!
>

> Cassandra Laity
>

> Prof. Cassandra Laity
> Editor, *Feminist Modernist Studies (FMS; *Routledge; 2017--
>

> *) http://www.tandfonline.com/loi/rfmd20
> <http://www.tandfonline.com/loi/rfmd20>
> <http://explore.tandfonline.com/cfp/ah/feminist-modernist-studies-launch-cfp>
> Former Co-Editor, Modernism/Modernity (JHUP; 2000-2010) *
> Currently, Visiting Scholar
> English Department
> University of Tennessee-Knoxville
> e-mail claity at utk.edu
> most recent essay, "Eco-Geologies of Queer Desire"
> https://academic.oup.com/cww/article/10/3/429/2447411/Eco-
> Geologies-of-Queer-Desire-Elizabeth-Bishop-s

Susan Stanford Friedman
Hilldale Professor in the Humanities
Virginia Woolf Professor of English and Women's Studies
English Department, 600 N. Park Street
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Madison, WI 53706  Phone: 608-258-8080

*Planetary Modernisms: Provocations on Modernity Across Time*
Columbia University Press, August 2015