[Msa-discuss] CFP: Miniatures and Comparative Literature (ACLA 2018)

Shannon Winston skw2 at princeton.edu
Tue Sep 19 17:53:39 EDT 2017

Dear Colleagues,

I'm writing to invite your submissions for a seminar I'm organizing at the
2018 American Comparative Literature Association (ACLA) conference on
miniatures.

Please find the description below:

Numerous theorists have engaged with the complexities of miniatures,
including Walter Benjamin, Theodor Adorno, Susan Stewart, and Andreas
Huyssen. As they and other thinkers have shown, the complex and
contradictory nature of the miniature invokes a myriad of things,
including: nostalgia, wealth, gender norms and diet culture, and a desire
for control, for example. In popular culture, miniatures crop up in diverse
forms: from dollhouses to mini-Frappuccinos, model cities, spyware,
nanotechnology, and closed ecosystems. The proposed seminar is interested
in thinking about the status of the miniature—whether a tiny book,
photograph, or a cultural phenomenon like the miniature food movement— as
an object of study within the field of Comparative Literature. Our aim will
be to create a vibrant, interdisciplinary discussion on the ways the
miniature might (or might not) be a useful genre and/or category of
analysis for thinking about different modes and approaches to the
comparative aspect of Comparative Literature. How might thinking about the
miniature expand our possible objects of study? Might we consider it a
bridge to other fields? Possible paper topic might address issues related
to the miniature genre within the following contexts: environmental,
postcolonial, and cultural studies; photography and visual culture; digital
humanities; close reading and poetics; urban planning and architecture.
This list is meant to generate ideas and is by no means exhaustive.

If you would like to submit an abstract, please do so via the ACLA portal
by 9 a.m. EST on Thursday, September 21:
https://www.acla.org/seminar/miniatures-and-comparative-literature

Thank you for your consideration!
Sincerely,
Shannon Winston