[Msa-discuss] The Well of Loneliness: global impacts?

Jodie Medd JodieMedd at cunet.carleton.ca
Thu Sep 7 13:03:58 EDT 2017

Dear Colleagues,

I am writing a brief entry on the publication and trial of The Well of Loneliness for a reference volume with an emphasis on “global” sexualities.  I would be happy hear of any research you may know of (or have done yourself) on The Well’s relation to modern sexual (literary) histories in a global context, particularly beyond standard urban histories of the UK, western Europe, and the U.S.  I am familiar with textual readings of the novel’s national, colonial, and European-sexological politics, and with the novel’s Anglo-American reception history; I am therefore seeking information about its transnational/global reception history and impacts. Please feel free to reply off-list.

Many thanks,
Jodie Medd (jodie.medd at carleton.ca)<mailto:jodie.medd at carleton.ca)>
Associate Professor, Department of English, and Institute for Comparative Studies in Literature, Art and Culture
Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada