[Msa-discuss] Marginally Modernist: NeMLA Panel, Pittsburgh 2018

Michelle Rada michelle_rada at brown.edu
Mon May 29 10:01:07 EDT 2017

Please consider submitting a paper proposal to the panel "Marginally
Modernist <https://www.cfplist.com/nemla/Home/S/16991>" for NeMLA's
upcoming conference in Pittsburgh, PA, April 12-15, 2018 (description
below).

Submit your 300-word paper abstract directly to the NeMLA website:
https://www.cfplist.com/nemla/Home/S/16991

Guidelines can be found here: http://www.buffalo.edu/nemla/convention/
callforpapers/submit.html

*Submission portal opens June 15th, 2017 and closes September 30th, 2017*

If you have any questions, contact: michelle_rada at brown.edu

*"Marginally Modernist"*

“It is at the level of style,” Anne Anlin Cheng writes in *Second Skin*,
“—the most apparent of styles (though hidden in its very transparency)—that
we can witness the profound contact between Modernism and its others.”
Locating the precarious and often invisible (perhaps transparent) margins
designated by the term “Modernism,” this panel examines the methods and
texts through which we either affirm or reject such boundaries. If, as
Cheng argues, we encounter the porous outlines of Modernism “at the level
of style,” then: what does this style look, read, sound, and feel like? How
do we identify and interpret its points of transgression? Can frameworks
such as the global, planetary, and transatlantic help us understand a term
as politically and geographically ambivalent as Modernism?

>From its dreams of an ever-accelerating, technologically saturated future
to its fetishistic obsession with the regressive aesthetics of childhood
and the “primitive,” Modernism—the style, the period, the set of
ideological commitments and aesthetic techniques—is wrought with frictions
and mutually exclusive contradictions. While scholars have worked to locate
within the “Modernist” certain styles (whether sleekly functionalist or
experimentally obfuscated by clutter), temporalities (whether forward-bound
or stuck in a traumatic loop of repetition), and affective dispositions
(from wartime melancholia to futurist euphoria), this panel addresses the
formal affordances and historical markers through which we arrive at the
Modernist and designate its supposed antinomies. “Marginally Modernist”
searches not only for what “barely” qualifies as Modernist but for works
and theoretical approaches explicitly or invisibly marginalized by
Modernism. This panel inhabits the fragile boundaries of an overdetermined
term, examining the particular historical, formal, geographical, and
ideological contours invoked by Modernism and its resultant exclusions.

Papers might address (but are not limited to): functionalism and
primitivism in architecture and design, psychoanalysis and aesthetics,
geographical markers of exclusion or exception, transatlantic studies,
“planetary” and/or global modernity, experimental forms and queer
temporalities, affect, meta-critical accounts of contemporary Modernist
studies.