[Msa-discuss] new book on academic writing

Helen Sword h.sword at auckland.ac.nz
Mon May 8 02:01:13 EDT 2017

Dear MSA colleagues,

I'm delighted to announce the publication of my new book from Harvard University Press, Air & Light & Time & Space: How Successful Academics Write<https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XW8W77D/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1494221092&sr=8-1&keywords=sword+air+and+light+and+time+and+space>, which sums up findings from my interviews with 100 successful academics from across the disciplines, including a number of Modernist scholars.  Some of you may already have seen the recent review in the Chronicle of Higher Education<http://www.chronicle.com/article/Writing-Better-Won-t-Cure/239832> (generally quite positive aside from the fact that I fail to address or solve all the ills of neoliberalism - sorry!)

If you'd be interested in reviewing the book for an academic publication or newsletter, or if you'd like to consider adopting it for a course or a faculty reading group, please backchannel the relevant details to me at h.sword at auckland.ac.nz<mailto:h.sword at auckland.ac.nz>, and I'll ask Harvard UP to send you a review copy.

To complement the book, I've developed a nifty little online diagnostic tool called the Writing BASE<http://writersdiet.com/base.php>, which I'll be looking to improve and expand over the coming months.  I'd welcome your comments and suggestions.

Thanks and best regards,

Helen
Helen Sword
Professor and Director
Centre for Learning and Research in Higher Education (CLeaR)
The University of Auckland
18 Waterloo Quadrant
Private Bag 92019
Auckland 1142
New Zealand
Email: h.sword at auckland.ac.nz<mailto:h.sword at auckland.ac.nz>
Recent books:
Air & Light & Time & Space: How Successful Academics Write<http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog.php?isbn=9780674737709> (Harvard University Press, 2017)
The Writer's Diet: A Guide to Fit Prose<http://www.amazon.com/Writers-Diet-Chicago-Writing-Publishing/dp/022635198X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464500582&sr=8-1&keywords=helen+sword> (University of Chicago Press, 2016)
Stylish Academic Writing<http://www.amazon.com/Stylish-Academic-Writing-Helen-Sword/dp/0674064488/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1464500582&sr=8-2&keywords=helen+sword> (Harvard University Press, 2012)
Websites:
www.helensword.com<http://www.helensword.com/>
www.writersdiet.com<http://www.writersdiet.com/>