[Msa-discuss] CFP: Global Modernism and Media

Mazadiego, Elize emazadiego at ucsd.edu
Tue Jan 31 07:25:14 EST 2017

Good day,
Could you please post the following CFP? Thank you in advance.
Warm regards,
Elize Mazadiego, Ph.D.

*With the extension of the deadline, we are re-opening our CFP for new proposals.

Panel at Modernist Studies Association 2017 Conference (Amsterdam)
CFP: Global Modernism and Media

Modernism as distinctly international is largely discussed through the movement or migration of artists and writers in the multinational metropolitan centers. Despite the global reach of practitioners, there were still many who did not share the same mobility and direct access to traditional artistic centers. We wish to open up the discussion to a different kind of transnational network that fostered reciprocal exchanges and collaboration among cultural producers between the center and periphery.

This panel will consider modernism’s “deterritorialized internationalism” facilitated by new media and technologies, and the argument that modernity’s new forms of communication were integral to its global aspirations. Our aim is to explore modernist aesthetics and the ways in which they were affected and extended globally within the changing media environment.  The topic will cover the role of new transcription devices and transmission networks, and how they shaped modes of production, distribution and reception of art.

We seek papers that address topics such as:

-the circulation and flow of culture via its mediation
-the building of international networks
-transcending distance and participation on a global scale
-reproduction and translation
-historic and neo avant-gardes’ usage of mass media and popular culture
-television, photography, print media, radio or film.

We invite papers across disciplines, including visual arts, literature, media and communication, and cultural studies.

Please send a brief biography and 200-250 word abstract to Elize Mazadiego (emazadiego at ucsd.edu<mailto:emazadiego at ucsd.edu>) by Thursday Feb. 2, 2017.