[Msa-discuss] MSA 19 Amsterdam CFP: "First World War Today"

Fisher, Jane E fisher at canisius.edu
Sun Jan 29 13:06:21 EST 2017

MSA 19 Amsterdam
"First World War Today" Panel
As we experience social unrest accompanying the First World War's centennial, what is the war's legacy today?  "Oh What a Literary War," Paul Fussell opined in the classic The Great War and Modern Memory, but contemporary studies of the First World War have expanded beyond literature to include media, theory, and material culture. This panel invites papers considering the First World War's participation in contemporary literary and cultural discourse. How has the war been portrayed in an evolving range of genres, especially graphic narratives, film, gothic, time travel, LGBTQ texts, etc.? What rituals of World War I memorialization and forgetting have survived or been newly created?  How are previously neglected or underrepresented groups (such as nurses, First Peoples, or colonial nations) gaining recognition in studies of the First World War, and what does this signify?  What choices have museums made in their curations of the First World War, and why? How is the material culture of the First World War (trench art, propaganda posters, etc.) becoming increasingly prominent in our understanding of the war? How has the First World War figured in recent post-colonial theory or debates concerning the modernist bildungsroman? How do different cultures reflect on the continuing geo-political effects of the 1916 Sykes-Picot Agreement and partition of Ottoman Empire after 1923?
Please send a brief biography and 250 word proposal to Jane Fisher (fisher at canisius.edu<mailto:fisher at canisius.edu>) by Feb. 3.