[Msa-discuss] "Great War Revisited": proposed panel at MLA, Jan. 4-7, 2018 (deadline March 1, 2017)

Anastasia-Irene Mangoutas a.mangoutas at queensu.ca
Thu Jan 19 13:55:30 EST 2017

In Testament of Youth, Vera Brittain reflects that the Armistice has "come too late": "[the people] did not cry jubilantly: 'We've won the War!' They only said: 'The War is over'" (421-2).Honoring the centenary of the Great War's end, this panel seeks papers on ways in which the arts address practices of memory and commemoration, particularly relating to fraught relationship(s) between war and peace, and the ways in which, as Madelyn Detloff reminds us, we exist in a "'patched' present troubled by modernist constellations of personal trauma, militarized violence, and 'imperial loss'" (Modernism 10).

How, then, do literature, film, and the visual arts-both Modernist and contemporary-enact these commemorative processes? How are war and peace represented, both with respect to the Great War itself, and to its relationship with subsequent conflicts (e.g. Spanish Civil War; Second World War; Cold War; Iraq; etc.)? How does the commemoration of past conflicts shape our understanding of present and future wars?

Please send 300-word abstracts to A. Irene Mangoutas (21aim2 at queensu.ca<mailto:21aim2 at queensu.ca>) and Dana J. Shiller (dshiller at washjeff.edu<mailto:dshiller at washjeff.edu>) by 1 March 2017.

A. Irene Mangoutas
PhD Candidate | Department of English
Queen's University | Kingston, ON
21aim2 at queensu.ca