[Msa-discuss] Chicago Studies and the Archive

Liesl Olson olsonl at newberry.org
Thu Jan 12 14:02:32 EST 2017

Dear Colleagues,

I am writing to announce an exciting, new program for graduate students at the Newberry library:

Chicago Studies and the Archive

A three-part seminar in archival praxis

Free and open to graduate students

April 14 / April 21 / April 28

10 AM to 12:30 PM

This  interdisciplinary seminar, to be held on three consecutive Friday mornings at the Newberry library, is designed to give students an introduction to current theories of the archive and to modern archival practices. Through  our readings and through an investigation of Chicago-related collections, we will explore the theoretical and methodological dimensions of archival work, as we engage with the question of how taxonomies shape our critical understanding of a field.  How do we organize information and knowledge?  How do we develop our own archives of study?  And what is meant by being an "authority" in one's field?

Readings will include selections from the following, and will not exceed 65 pages per session: Burton, ed. Archive Stores (2005); Edwards, "The Taste of the Archive " (2012); Farge, The Allure of the Archives (1989); Steedman, Dust: The Archive and Cultural History (2002); Olson, Chicago Renaissance (2017). Participants will also be asked to read short pieces by Sherwood Anderson, Fanny Butcher, Ben Hecht, and several finding aids.

Three  sessions-2.5 hours each-will be held at the Newberry from 10 AM to 12:30 PM, followed by lunch. Graduate students across the humanities are  encouraged to apply, especially historians, art historians, literary scholars, and those with a strong interest in the cultural history of Chicago.

Students should send a C.V. and short statement of their research interests to Liesl Olson at olsonl at newberry.org  by March 15, 2017. Accepted students will be expected to attend all three sessions.

Liesl Olson
Director, Chicago Studies
Newberry Library
60 West Walton Street, Chicago IL 60610