[Msa-discuss] CFP for MSA 19 (Amsterdam) - Anthropocene Modernism: Literature in a Time of Climate Change

Andrew Logemann alogemann at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 10:42:44 EST 2017

Hi all,

Following a series of provocative discussions at MLA, I am looking to put
together a panel for MSA 19 that considers modernism in light of the
Anthropocene. If you are interested, please reply by Thursday, Jan. 12th.

*CFP for MSA 19 (Amsterdam)*

*Anthropocene Modernism: Literature in a Time of Climate Change*

This panel considers the ways in which literary modernism confronts the
ecological challenges of the Anthropocene, the current geological period
during which human activity has become a prevailing influence on climate
and the environment. In light of our growing awareness of the precarity of
numerous species, including our own, it proposes that modernist studies
should expand its global reach to embrace larger temporalities and wider
geographies, pursuing an engaged praxis that connects disparate elements of
modernity -- literary representation, technological progress, the
environment, and ethics. In this formulation, the Anthropocene represents
not only an ecological transformation, but also a cultural one; the new
modernist studies, attuned to the complex networks of ideas circulating
within cultural texts, can play a vital role in tracing the historical,
scientific, political, ethical, and imaginative discourses present in
modernism's encounter with anthropogenic climate change.

Possible questions to be addressed include:

- How do modernist texts engage with climate change?

- How might a sense of geological time make new available new literary and
historical periodizations?

- How does modernist studies engage productively with an interdisciplinary
conversation whose roots lie in the natural and social sciences?

Please send a paper title, 250-word abstract, and a brief bio to Andrew
Logemann at alogemann at gmail.com by January 12, 2017.

Best,

Andrew Logemann

Assistant Professor of English