[Msa-discuss] Reminder: deadline for MSA Board Nominations on Wednesday, March 1st

Alexander Christie achristie at brocku.ca
Mon Feb 27 12:08:29 EST 2017

Dear Members,

This is a reminder that nominations for the three MSA Board positions below will close on WEDNESDAY, MARCH 1ST:

(1)      Second Vice President (the 2nd VP assumes office on 13 August 2017, the last day of the 2017 MSA conference in Amsterdam, then proceeds to the position of 1st Vice-President on the final day of the Columbus conference in 2018, and then to that of President on the final day of the 2019 conference).
(2)     Chair, Programs (three-year term commencing 13 August 2017, the last day of the MSA conference in Amsterdam)
(3)     Chair, Membership & Elections (three-year term commencing 13 August 2017)

For more information on what each of these roles entail, follow this link:https://msa.press.jhu.edu/about/bylaws.html

You are also encouraged to contact the Executive Board members who hold or have held these positions:

Jessica Berman (jberman at umbc.edu)<mailto:jberman at umbc.edu)>, President
Stephen Ross (saross at uvic.ca)<mailto:saross at uvic.ca)>, ex-President
Laura Winkiel (laura.winkiel at colorado.edu)<mailto:laura.winkiel at colorado.edu)>, 1st Vice President
Celia Marshik (celia.marshik at stonybrook.edu)<mailto:celia.marshik at stonybrook.edu)>, 2nd Vice President
Lisi Schoenbach (aschoenb at utk.edu)<mailto:aschoenb at utk.edu)>, Program Chair
María del Pilar Blanco (maria.blanco at trinity.ox.ac.uk)<mailto:maria.blanco at trinity.ox.ac.uk)>, Membership & Elections Chair

NOMINATION INSTRUCTIONS:

We encourage both self-nominations and nominations of other MSA members.
Any MSA member in good standing is eligible to be nominated and serve as an officer.

Please send your nomination of another MSA member or of yourself to María del Pilar Blanco (maria.blanco at trinity.ox.ac.uk<mailto:maria.blanco at trinity.ox.ac.uk>), Chair, Membership and Elections.

Nominations should be sent as an attachment and should include the following information about the nominee:
1. name
2. position sought
3. email and telephone contacts
4. rank, academic or organizational affiliation
5. a statement of qualifications of no more than 200 words; the statement may additionally be accompanied by a list of up to four publications that demonstrate an interest in Modernist Studies and/or a website address that lists publications and other relevant information
6. current c.v.

The Membership and Elections Committee Chair, in consultation with the Nominations Committee, will prepare a slate of candidates for election. The Nominations Chair will contact those nominees who were not self-nominated to confirm their interest in serving on the board.

 ABOUT THE MSA BOARD:

Since the inception of MSA over a decade ago, membership has grown to over 1000. Most of the organization’s work is done by volunteers on the MSA Board and their committees, with the assistance of an MSA administrator. Therefore, those deciding to run for election should be prepared to make a substantial time commitment to MSA. Board members also work individually and collectively to build the membership base, and to communicate with members and the larger academy concerning the Modernist Studies Association. The MSA Board is responsible for planning and executing the annual meeting in conjunction with representatives of the host institution; we believe that the liveliest and most provocative conferences result from attention to diversity of representation on the fronts of discipline, nation, race, and gender on the Board, among the membership, and on the annual program. Our most recent conferences in Pittsburgh (2014), Boston (2015), and Pasadena (2016) have further diversified our membership and increased interdisciplinary and multicultural panel offerings. We expect no less of our future conferences.

Best wishes,

María del Pilar Blanco
Chair, Membership & Elections
Modernist Studies Association (MSA)