[Msa-discuss] Logic and Literary Form

Jeffrey Blevins jblevins at berkeley.edu
Tue Feb 14 15:07:44 EST 2017

Dear All,

I'm writing to call your attention to an exciting conference set to take
place this spring at UC Berkeley. The conference features a large modernist
contingent. Details appear below -- do mark your calendars, and let me know
if you have any questions about this event.

---

*Logic and Literary Form *
*organized by Charles Altieri, Jeffrey Blevins, and Daniel Williams*

*University of California, Berkeley*
April 14-15, 2017

https://logicandliteraryform.wordpress.com/

Literary formalism, formal logic: were ever two areas of study so alike and
yet so different? Both advocate structural over practical or historical
methods in the analysis of language. Both appeal to such methods to study
how permutations of words and symbols affect the meaning of sentences and
longer strings of language. Both assess linguistic structures and their
effects in light of shared concepts like “form,” “symbol,” “predication,”
“abstraction,” and “reference.” Yet despite many and various connections, a
disciplinary chasm has long separated literary formalism and formal logic.

Our conference on *Logic and Literary Form* promises to bridge this chasm
by convening scholars working at the interdisciplinary juncture of literary
studies, philosophy, and the history of science in order to investigate the
historical, conceptual, and analogical connections between literary and
logical form. The conference will include a range of subfields from
literary history to philosophical aesthetics, and will transect several
periods from medieval developments in logic, rhetoric, and grammar through
the articulation and rigorization of symbolic logic in the 19th and 20th
centuries. The conference will feature keynotes by a literary scholar and
philosopher, and a poetry reading.

*Keynotes*

   - Andrea Henderson (UC Irvine)
   - Bernard Linsky (Alberta)

*Poetry Reading*

   - Kevin Holden (Harvard SoF, Yale) -- in conversation with Lyn Hejinian
   (UC Berkeley)

*Participants*

   - David Bates (Berkeley)
   - Kristin Boyce (Mississippi State)