[Msa-discuss] CfP: The Classroom in Literature - Special Issue of English

Katherine Baxter katherine.baxter at northumbria.ac.uk
Tue Feb 7 12:11:24 EST 2017

MSA colleagues may be interested in the following call which we now have out for contributions to a special issue of English. Please feel free to share with colleagues beyond modernist studies too!

English: The Journal of the English Association invites contributions to a special issue on "The Classroom of Literature"

. . . . we moved together out of the clutch of the Fates, inhabitors of a world without doom; with a scratching, licking and chewing of pens, a whisper and passing of jokes, a titter of tickling, a grumble of labour, a vague stare at the wall in a dream. . . . (Laurie Lee, Cider with Rosie)
Laurie Lee’s evocative recollection of his childhood school conjures up the mundane and the otherworldly nature of the classroom, where even a vague stare at the wall can precipitate a dream. In this special issue we explore the classroom of literature. As a scene of punishment, of boredom, of inspiration, of desire, the classroom has taken on a variety of tropes in literature over time. Meanwhile, today, our literary classrooms are changing rapidly to incorporate new technologies, new texts, new methodologies. We invite papers that address the relationship between literature and pedagogy from a range of perspectives that might include but are not limited to:

The use of online resources and social media in modern literary pedagogy
Pedagogy and poetry
Teachers and teaching on page and stage
Teaching literature, criticality and citizenship
Literary scenes of education
The classroom trope in the bildungsroman
Satire and the scene of learning

Essay submissions of 5000-9000 words and poetry submissions of individual poems should be made via the journal’s portal: https://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/english

Deadline: 31st March 2017.
Please include ‘CofL Special Issue’ in the title of your submission.

Further information for authors is available here: https://academic.oup.com/english/pages/General_Instructions<http://www.oxfordjournals.org/our_journals/english/for_authors/>

Queries can be sent to: englishjournal at northumbria.ac.uk

Katherine Isobel Baxter Ph.D.

Reader in English Literature
General Editor, English: http://english.oxfordjournals.org/

Department of Humanities
University of Northumbria
NE1 8ST
Tel: 0191 227 4986

Available Now – Conrad and Language<https://edinburghuniversitypress.com/book-conrad-and-language-hb.html>

“‘Senseless speech’ and Inaudibility in Conrad's ‘Amy Foster’: Rethinking Trauma and the Unspeakable in Fiction” in Textual Practice
http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/zrk3keAE7QQnMXhIZryA/full