[Msa-discuss] NEH summer institute: Art and Public Culture in Chicago

Liesl Olson olsonl at newberry.org
Mon Dec 18 13:06:01 EST 2017

We are now accepting applications for our summer 2018 NEH institute:  ART AND PUBLIC CULTURE IN CHICAGO.

At the Newberry LibraryJune 11-June 29, 2018
Led by Liesl Olson (Director of Chicago Studies, Newberry Library), Rebecca Zorach (Professor of Art History, Northwestern University), and Chad Heap (Associate Professor of American Studies, George Washington University), Art and Public Culture in Chicago will look closely at the arts, their reception, and their civic import in Chicago from the 1893 World’s Fair through the present moment. We are  particularly interested in artistic communities, small-scale venues, and vernacular expressions that developed against or alongside Chicago’s  mainstream cultural institutions—especially those that took shape in the city’s African American neighborhoods. The setting of Art and Public Culture in Chicago will provide participants with a coherent case study, a wealth of resources, and the opportunity to experience the actual institutions, places, and neighborhoods of our program of
study. We also aim to underscore connections between Chicago and other American cities, and we  welcome teachers and scholars with an interest in urban spaces, art, and public culture more broadly.  This institute contributes to the NEH’s recent initiative, “The Common Good,” by inviting participants to reflect more broadly on the role of the arts and the humanities in the public sphere. The ultimate aim is to understand the challenges to public culture now by looking through a deeply historical lens.

The institute will include visiting faculty in art history, literature, American studies, African American studies, and creative arts, including Adam Green (University of Chicago), Davarian Baldwin (Trinity College), and Nicole Marroquin (School of the Art Institute of Chicago). Participants will also engage  with a rich array of primary sources in the Newberry’s collection.

For more information--including how to apply--see our website.

Liesl Olson
Director, Chicago Studies
Newberry Library
60 West Walton Street, Chicago IL 60610