[Msa-discuss] CFP: Surrealism--Inaugural Conference of the International Society for the Study of Surrealism

Roger Rothman rrothman at bucknell.edu
Wed Dec 13 10:18:53 EST 2017

*SURREALISMS: Inaugural Conference of the ISSS*
Bucknell University Humanities Center
Lewisburg, PA, USA
1-4 November 2018
https://buisss18.scholar.bucknell.edu

As we near the centenary mark of André Breton’s Manifesto of Surrealism
(1924), the movement’s influence continues to reverberate across
contemporary poetry, art, film, philosophy, and popular culture. The
scholarly study and teaching of surrealism extends correspondingly to arts
and humanities fields and departments around the world. The International
Society for the Study of Surrealism (ISSS) aims to advance surrealism’s
widespread cultural and intellectual influence by organizing events and
managing channels of information to facilitate cross-disciplinary and
inter-regional exchange. The mission of the ISSS is to incorporate and
promote new scholarship on global surrealism as well as to introduce new
ways to approach its various literary and artistic expressions throughout
Europe. In addition, we seek to foster exchanges between practicing artists
and writers and the scholarly community for whom surrealism (past and
present) is a field of ongoing inquiry.

The Bucknell Humanities Center will host the society’s inaugural conference
on 1-3 November 2018. The conference will include scholarly presentations,
film screenings, poetry readings, an exhibition on surrealism and new media
art, and a performance at the Milton Art Bank. Bucknell University, located
in Lewisburg, PA, is a three-hour drive from New York City, Philadelphia,
Washington D.C., and Baltimore. To facilitate travel, the conference will
organize a shuttle between the campus and the nearest airport (Harrisburg,
PA). The conference website will be online shortly with additional
information.

For our inaugural conference we invite proposals for individual papers,
panels, or roundtable discussions on any topic related to surrealism in its
various incarnations. We are interested in the full range of media across
all geographical locations and within all relevant temporal frames. Our
goal is to promote new directions in surrealist scholarship and research,
bringing surrealist groups and tendencies across continents and
archipelagos into conversation. We are especially interested in
anti-colonial and postcolonial surrealist activities around the world,
including, for example, surrealism in North Africa, trans-Caribbean
surrealism, South and Latin American surrealism, Eastern European and Asian
surrealism.

Proposals for individual papers (20-minutes) should include a 250-word
abstract along with title, affiliation, and contact information.
Pre-organized panels submissions, which might include three or four papers
per panel, should include an additional paragraph describing the rubric and
proposed title of the panel. Roundtables, alternative format panels, and
the like are encouraged. We welcome proposals from independent artists and
writers interested in presenting their work in a scholarly context. We
welcome submissions from graduate students for whom surrealism is central
to their research. Those who wish to present in a language other than
English may do so, but must also include a précis or translation in English.

Send proposals to isss2018bucknell at gmail.com by 1 April 2018.
Notification of acceptance by 1 June 2018.

Conference Coordinators:
Jonathan Eburne jpe11 at psu.edu
Effthymia Rentzou erentzou at princeton.edu
Roger Rothman roger.rothman at bucknell.edu
Abigail Susik asusik at willamette.edu

--

Roger Rothman
Samuel H. Kress Professor of Art History
roger.rothman at bucknell.edu
570.577.1611 <(570)%20577-1611>

*Beyond Critique: Contemporary Art in Theory, Practice, and Instruction* (with
Pamela Fraser) <http://bloomsbury.com/us/beyond-critique-9781501323461/>
*Tiny Surrealism: Salvador Dali and the Aesthetics of the Small
<http://www.nebraskapress.unl.edu/nebraska/9780803280885/>*