[Msa-discuss] MSA Amsterdam Print Program and News

Glitz, Rudolph R.W.H.Glitz at uva.nl
Mon Aug 7 10:42:14 EDT 2017

Dear participants,

Ca. two days ago, we sent out our final programme printout to all of you via the registration software tool. A hard copy of this programme will also be in your conference pack and available on the conference website. In case the email hasn't reached all of you, here the same information in a nutshell including a few important updates and reminders.

There have been a few recent changes and corrections to our programme, which we are already compiling into a 'recent updates and corrections' sheet that will go into your conference pack. These and any future changes you ask for will also be shown on our centrally located update screen. In any case, if you want or are affected by a change, please mention it again at registration so we can make triple sure everything is properly announced.

One very recent and rather significant change needs to be highlighted immediately: our advertised first keynote speaker, Boris Groys, has unfortunately fallen ill upon returning from another journey and emailed us yesterday that he won't be able to make the trip to Amsterdam. Luckily for us, however, this will not leave us with an empty stage. David Trotter has graciously agreed to fill in and speak about another, albeit also media-related topic despite the short notice and some necessary improvisation. He will lecture on current work of his. So on Thursday evening, our programme will look like this:

Keynote Lecture 1 (Thu 6-7.15pm):

"Lightning Fields: Modernism and Media Theory"

David Trotter (University of Cambridge)

Information about the conference venue:

The Beurs itself is very close to the Central Station (a basic map is attached). Once you exit the latter in the direction of the city, just walk straight ahead towards Dam Square (through some hustle and bustle) and it'll be on your left and hard to miss after 100 or so metres. I have attached a map to this email in case that is helpful.

Just as a last-minute reassurance in case you are still wondering: the Beurs van Berlage, our venue, has WLAN, a screen, a projector, and a laptop you use your memory stick on in every room where roundtable or panel presentations are scheduled. If you have any sound requirements, they will be catered to as well. Just mention them at registration.

For the digital exhibits, hosted in the Grote Zaal, we will have screens and power plugs for your own computers. Here, the acoustics are somewhat hard to predict, though, so if you plan to play sounds to your visitors, it would be good if you brought head phones.

Reminder of the Wednesday pre-conference event

May I finally point out that our Wednesday evening pre-conference event should be quite exciting and a perfect embodiment of Modernism Today. It will include dance, song, improvised poetry, and an adaptation of Finnegan's Wake, and will hopefully lure those of you arriving on Wednesday to the Societeit Sexyland in Amsterdam Noord, the up and coming artistic neighbourhood of the city. You can find directions in the programme. This event is also advertised on facebook. Like it there if you are interested, so we will get a better idea of numbers. There are also some dining options in the vicinity of the venue.

Excitedly, in the name of the entire local conference team,
Rudolph Glitz