[Msa-discuss] Fwd: FW: Next Network of American Periodical Studies symposium

James Gifford james.d.gifford at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 13:22:04 EST 2016

FYI

From: Sue Currell <S.Currell at sussex.ac.uk <mailto:S.Currell at sussex.ac.uk>>
Date: Wednesday, March 9, 2016 at 9:53 AM
Cc: Victoria Bazin <victoria.bazin at northumbria.ac.uk
<mailto:victoria.bazin at northumbria.ac.uk>>, Sue Currell
<S.Currell at sussex.ac.uk <mailto:S.Currell at sussex.ac.uk>>
Subject: Next NAPS symposium!

Dear Member of the American Magazines Network, I do hope that some of
you will be able to come to the next NAPS symposium that Victoria and I
are organising. This time it's in sunny (!) Brighton, on Friday May 20th
( & during the Brighton festival if you want to have a weekend of
culture and slightly unhinged anarchy) -- so I hope you'll be able to
join us at the seaside!

CFP: *Radical America: Revolutionary, Dissident and Extremist Magazines*.

For the second Network of American Periodical Studies symposium we are
seeking papers that discuss American magazines’ political radicalism and
dissidence; experimentalism; marginality; extremism; avant-gardism.
Topics to be addressed might include the hand-printed, mimeographed,
photocopied, homemade, short-lived, minority, dissident, banned,
objectionable, radical, tasteless, amateur, arty, communist, fascist,
sectarian, or religious magazines, usually found discarded in the
American basement. Further topics of interest:Illustration and design;
Networks; Legality; Persecution; Production and distribution; Access,
Conservation; and preservation.

Event to be held Friday May 20, 2016 @The Keep, home of the University
of Sussex Special Collections, see http://www.thekeep.info
<https://exchange.sussex.ac.uk/owa/14.3.279.2/scripts/premium/redir.aspx?REF=GOowwC1oskkcJ9PyK8OMnPTPhzwXkTjui3Y_ZSo4cPzF4ylHL0jTCAFodHRwOi8vd3d3LnRoZWtlZXAuaW5mby8.>

Send short abstracts to Sue Currell at s.currell at sussex.ac.uk
<https://exchange.sussex.ac.uk/owa/14.3.279.2/scripts/premium/redir.aspx?REF=lsjVTPZ-iXOXiC5mPHlQV67c5qU4-bSkpAtW6mAX5qLF4ylHL0jTCAFtYWlsdG86cy5jdXJyZWxsQHN1c3NleC5hYy51aw..> by
March 25th, 2016. For more about NAPS see
https://periodicalstudies.wordpress.com.

Please circulate this CFP, or print out the attached .pdf to display to
any interested parties, many thanks, best wishes, Sue.

Dr. Sue Currell
Reader in American Literature
School of English
University of Sussex
Falmer BN1 9QN
01273 877254
http://www.sussex.ac.uk/profiles/26701

Chair, British Association for American Studies
http://www.baas.ac.uk/
sue.currell at baas.ac.uk
<https://exchange.sussex.ac.uk/owa/redir.aspx?C=2dd528f3dc93434a9503d7aec4d73d5b&URL=mailto%3asue.currell%40baas.ac.uk>