[Msa-discuss] MSA Executive Board Nominations

Alex Christie achris at uvic.ca
Fri Jan 29 21:01:22 EST 2016

Dear Members,

The MSA Board is seeking nominations for two Executive Board positions (http://msa.press.jhu.edu/about/nominations.html <http://msa.press.jhu.edu/about/nominations.html>):

1. CHAIR, FINANCE (TREASURER) (3-year term commencing on the final day of MSA 18 in 2016).

2. 2nd VICE-PRESIDENT (the 2nd Vice President assumes office on the final day of MSA 18 in 2016, then proceeds to the position of 1st Vice-President on the final day of MSA 19 in 2017, and then to that of President on the final day of MSA 20 in 2018).

OFFICIAL DESCRIPTIONS of these positions may be found at the MSA website <https://msa.press.jhu.edu/about/bylaws.html>.

Prospective candidates with questions about the duties of any of the positions are encouraged to contact these current officers and/or outgoing Board members:

President: Stephen Ross (saross at uvic.ca <mailto:saross at uvic.ca>)

1st Vice President: Jessica Berman (jberman at umbc.edu <mailto:jberman at umbc.edu>)

2nd Vice President: Laura Winkiel (laura.winkiel at colorado.edu <mailto:laura.winkiel at colorado.edu>)

Chair, Finance: Gayle Rogers (grogers at pitt.edu <mailto:grogers at pitt.edu>)

Program Chair: Lisi Schoenbach (aschoenb at utk.edu <mailto:aschoenb at utk.edu>)

Chair, Interdisciplinary Approaches: Scott Klein (klein at wfu.edu <mailto:klein at wfu.edu>)

Current Chair, International Relations: Christopher Bush (c-bush at northwestern.edu <mailto:c-bush at northwestern.edu>)

Chair of Membership and Elections: María del Pilar Blanco (maria.blanco at trinity.ox.ac.uk <mailto:maria.blanco at trinity.ox.ac.uk>)

NOMINATION INSTRUCTIONS:

We encourage both self-nominations and nominations of other MSA members.

Any MSA member in good standing is eligible to be nominated and serve as an officer.

Please send your nomination of another MSA member or of yourself to María del Pilar Blanco (maria.blanco at trinity.ox.ac.uk <mailto:maria.blanco at trinity.ox.ac.uk>), Chair, Membership and Elections.

Nominations should be sent as an attachment and should include the following information about the nominee:

1. name

2. position sought

3. email and telephone contacts

4. rank, academic or organizational affiliation

5. a statement of qualifications of no more than 200 words; the statement may additionally be accompanied by a list of up to four publications that demonstrate an interest in Modernist Studies and/or a website address that lists publications and other relevant information

6. current c.v.

NOMINATIONS DEADLINE: 1 MARCH 2016 (FRIDAY)

The Membership and Elections Committee Chair, in consultation with the Nominations Committee, will prepare a slate of candidates for election. The Nominations Chair will contact those nominees who were not self-nominated to confirm their interest in serving on the board.

Please address any procedural questions to María del Pilar Blanco (maria.blanco at trinity.ox.ac.uk <mailto:maria.blanco at trinity.ox.ac.uk>).

ABOUT THE MSA BOARD:

Since the inception of MSA over a decade ago, membership has grown to over 1000. Most of the organization’s work is done by volunteers on the MSA Board and their committees, with the assistance of an MSA administrator. Therefore, those deciding to run for election should be prepared to make a substantial time commitment to MSA. Board members also work individually and collectively to build the membership base, and to communicate with members and the larger academy concerning the Modernist Studies Association. The MSA Board is responsible for planning and executing the annual meeting in conjunction with representatives of the host institution; we believe that the liveliest and most provocative conferences result from attention to diversity of representation on the fronts of discipline, nation, race, and gender on the Board, among the membership, and on the annual program. Our most recent conferences in Sussex (2013), Pittsburgh (2014), and Boston (2015) have further diversified our membership and increased interdisciplinary and multicultural panel offerings. We expect no less of our future conferences in Pasadena (2016), Amsterdam (2017), and Columbus (2018).