[Msa-discuss] The Harlem Renaissance After the Transnational Turn (CFP for MLA 2017)

Hanson, Kelly Ruth hansonkr at indiana.edu
Mon Feb 22 15:42:57 EST 2016

The Harlem Renaissance After the Transnational Turn (CFP for Modern Language Association Conference, Philadelphia PA, January 5-8 2017)
This proposed special session will explore how the transnational turn in literary studies has impacted the ways we research and write about the New Negro Renaissance. Publications like Escape From New York: The New Negro Renaissance Beyond Harlem and the 2013 special edition of Modernism/modernity “The Harlem Renaissance and the New Modernist Studies” (20.3) have pushed us to expand the boundaries of the New Negro Renaissance. As a result of works like these, scholars have begun to accept that what we call the “Harlem Renaissance” was not limited to Harlem’s urban locale; the term signifies a global uptick in black cultural production encompassing the Europe, Africa, the Americas, and the Caribbean.
This panel invites papers that explore how this new, transnational perspective on the Harlem Renaissance has impacted the ways we research and write about black cultural production during this era. What new approaches has the transnational turn invited? How has viewing the Harlem Renaissance as a global phenomenon forced us to adopt new methods, questions, and/or materials?
Please send a 250-word abstract and 1-page CV to Kelly Hanson (hansonkr at indiana.edu<mailto:hansonkr at indiana.edu>) by March 10, 2016.