[Msa-discuss] MSA joins MLA statement

Jessica Berman jberman at umbc.edu
Tue Dec 6 15:38:19 EST 2016

Dear Members,

At our last meeting the Executive Committee of the MSA unanimously endorsed the recent statement by the MLA Executive Council concerning the 2016 presidential election. You may read the statement below or on the MLA’s website:
https://news.mla.hcommons.org/2016/11/21/mla-issues-postelection-statement/ <https://news.mla.hcommons.org/2016/11/21/mla-issues-postelection-statement/>

MLA Statement on the 2016 Presidential Election
The Executive Council approved the following statement in November 2016.
Throughout the campaign and in the aftermath of the presidential election in the United States, sharp political lines have been drawn that pit groups and individuals against one another on the basis of national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, migration status, ability, class, and other forms of identity. The Modern Language Association reaffirms in the strongest terms possible its commitment to free inquiry and academic freedom for all, unimpeded by acts of prejudice and hate. We note especially the need to offer support to those who are the most vulnerable and condemn the unjust rhetoric that targets them. We recognize that the humanities and humanistic knowledge are now more essential than ever to help guide us in these difficult times, and we pledge to maintain the MLA as an organization open to all individuals who share our commitments.

Yours,
Jessica Berman
jberman at umbc.edu <mailto:jberman at umbc.edu>
President