[Msa-discuss] Job Posting: Instructor, Textual Studies and Digital Humanities (Loyola University Chicago)

Alex Christie achris at uvic.ca
Thu Apr 28 00:27:17 EDT 2016

Please see the following message from Pamela Caughie.

---

Job Title: Instructor, Textual Studies and Digital Humanities

Background: Loyola University Chicago (LUC), College of Arts and Sciences, Center for Textual Studies and Digital Humanities invite applications for a full-time, one-year, non-renewable, Instructor position in Textual Studies and Digital Humanities, academic year 2016-2017. The Center for Textual Studies and Digital Humanities is home to a variety of funded and internal Digital Humanities projects (See http://luc.edu/ctsdh/researchprojects/) and the MA program in Digital Humanities.

Loyola University Chicago, located in the city's vibrantly multicultural north side on Lake Michigan, is committed to promoting diversity and social justice, and to creating an inclusive, responsive community of faculty, students and staff. We are committed to facilitating a transformative educational experience that recognizes the central importance of intellectual, social, cultural, and geographic diversity. The educational experience at Loyola University Chicago is enriched by providing students the opportunity to study with faculty from a variety of backgrounds and with a wide range of experiences and perspectives.

Duties and Responsibilities: The candidate will be responsible for supporting ongoing research projects in the Center and for teaching courses related to that program, including the Digital Humanities Project and special topics seminars at the MA and advanced undergraduate level. Teaching will account for 50% of the position; the other 50% will be devoted to collaborating on ongoing interdisciplinary research projects supported by the Center. Candidates for the position must clearly demonstrate potential for excellence in teaching and research in the interdisciplinary area of Digital Humanities.

Minimum Qualifications: The successful candidate will have an advanced degree preferably in Computer Science or in English or another humanities discipline as well as a strong commitment to excellence in teaching at all levels. Demonstrated technical skills and experience are expected in managing projects, using markup languages and metadata frameworks such as TEI, XML, XSLT, and RDF, web interface design, etc. as well as in teaching and supporting advanced Digital Humanities projects.

Special Instructions to Applicants: Applicants should submit a current Curriculum Vitae, a teaching statement/research agenda, and a letter of interest outlining the candidate’s qualifications to www.careers.luc.edu <http://www.careers.luc.edu/>.  Names and email addresses of three individuals prepared to speak to the professional qualifications of the candidate for this position are required. Referees will not be contacted immediately but might be at subsequent points in the review process. Additional materials related to teaching excellence and samples of technical work may be submitted to:

Prof. Kyle Roberts
Center for Textual Studies and Digital Humanities
Loyola University Chicago
Loyola Hall, 3rd Floor
1032 West Sheridan Rd.
Chicago, Illinois 60660

Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.

Loyola University Chicago is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer with a strong commitment to hiring for our mission and diversifying our faculty. As a Jesuit Catholic institution of higher education, we seek candidates who will contribute to our strategic plan to deliver a Transformative Education in the Jesuit tradition. To learn more about LUC’s mission, candidates should consult our website at www.luc.edu/mission/ <http://www.luc.edu/mission/>.  For information about the university’s focus on transformative education, they should consult our website at www.luc.edu/transformativeed <http://www.luc.edu/transformativeed>.