[Msa-discuss] CFP Deadline Reminder: Affective Ecologies of the Modernist Body (Edited Collection)

molly hall mvk26 at outlook.com
Fri Nov 27 10:50:48 EST 2015

Affective Ecologies of the Modernist Body: Call for Proposals (Edited Collection)

We seek to complete an edited collection on the modernist body with high quality proposals for chapters. The collection aims to examine ecologies of bodies’ relations to their surrounds in early twentieth-century modernism. From artist Hans Bellmer’s distorted dolls, to Rupert Brooke’s “dust” in a “corner of a foreign field,” to Virginia Woolf’s “orts, scraps, and fragments,” concepts of early twentieth century bodies – textual, phenomenological, cultural, political, and physical – fall to pieces, and we seek to ask how these pieces may aid us in reconceptualizing the modernist body in light of its new affective and ecological surrounds.

We welcome all approaches to the question of the modernist body’s conceptualization or re-/de-conceptualization, specifically those that span disciplinary and geographical bounds. Accepted chapters thus far address bodies in motion through dance, bodily thermality, erotics, decomposition, and bodily remainders in writers including W.B. Yeats, H.D., Lynd Ward, E.M. Forster, and Evelyn Waugh. We solicit proposals that may address topics that supplement or challenge these ideas, including:

·      “greened” or “queered” bodies

·      robotic, wounded or prosthetic bodies

·      negotiations of embodiment or permeability

·      affective landscapes and the body

·      environments of affect

·      colonial or non-Western modernist bodies

·      bodies at war in WWI or WWII landscapes

·      excesses of affect or disaffection on the homefront

·      suffrage, force-feeding, body activism

·      bodies’ publicness (or “publicity”) and urbanization

The book proposal will be sent out to publishers in January 2016, and chapters must be completed by June 2016. Abstracts of 300-400 words and a brief 2-page CV must be submitted to editors Molly Hall molly_hall at my.uri.edu and Kara Watts kara_watts at my.uri.edu by December 1st. Please address your abstracts to both editors.